Need alt Xerces-C (xml parser) lib binary for GPL compliance - Programmer

This is a discussion on Need alt Xerces-C (xml parser) lib binary for GPL compliance - Programmer ; Hello, Summary: Where can one download a Xerces-C (XML pardser) dynamic library file (.DLL file) for Windows (Win98/WinNT/Win2k/WinXP/Win2003, including server flavors; don't need to support pre-98) without having to build the library from source? We posed this question to the ...

  1. Need alt Xerces-C (xml parser) lib binary for GPL compliance

    Hello,

    Where can one download a Xerces-C (XML pardser) dynamic library file
    (.DLL file) for Windows (Win98/WinNT/Win2k/WinXP/Win2003, including
    server flavors; don't need to support pre-98) without having to build
    the library from source?

    We posed this question to the Xerces-users email list, but have yet to
    hear back from anyone there.

    Details:

    I am helping produce a GPL (GNU's General Public License) -based
    open-source project that depends on the Xerces-C XML parser module as
    a dynamic/shared library. Unfortunately, Xerces-C's license (an
    Apache license) makes it illegal for my project to provide the
    Xerces-C software or binaries (including the library .dll binary)
    available via our software distributions or websites in general.

    Therefore, for our Windows distributions (either source or binary),
    the user is forced to find Xerces-C on their own. This same issue
    occurs for other systems, but it's not as big of an issue on these
    other systems (namely Linux ones) because they tend to have an
    automated means to acquire libraries and source headers (eg, apt-get
    on Debian, yum/up2date on Redhat systems, etc).

    The general procedure for our Windows users will be to download our
    software (either in source or binary flavor), and then acquire
    Xerces-C separately. Not as a big problem for those building from
    source, but for those who don't want to build Xerces-C from source, it
    sure would be nice if these users had a place to acquire a Xerces-C
    pre-built binary (paritcularly for Xerces 2.7.0).

    Fyi, we have the same issue with the OpenSSL libraries, but there
    seems to be a well-reference site to get these OpenSSL binaries:

    http://www.openssl.org/related/binaries.html
    http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

    I'm looking for a similar thing (or better yet, multiple places) to
    get Xerces-C Windows library binaries (again, preferrably for 2.7.0,
    but 2.6.0 may suffice).

    Thanks for any help,
    -Matt
    --
    Remove the "downwithspammers-" text to email me.

  2. Re: Need alt Xerces-C (xml parser) lib binary for GPL compliance

    I Am Not A Lawyer, but I strongly suspect you're misreading Apache's
    license. There really shouldn't be a problem with your making the DLL
    available from your own website, as long as you do so under their
    license (which should be easy; just make it a separate download from
    your own code).

    The standard Xerces binary distribution is available direct from Apache
    and their shadows, though I can't vouch for whether that's as a DLL or
    in some other form. See http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/download.cgi

  3. Re: Need alt Xerces-C (xml parser) lib binary for GPL compliance

    look here: http://www.dlldump.com/

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > Hello,

    > Where can one download a Xerces-C (XML pardser) dynamic library file
    > (.DLL file) for Windows (Win98/WinNT/Win2k/WinXP/Win2003, including
    > server flavors; don't need to support pre-98) without having to build
    > the library from source?
    >
    > We posed this question to the Xerces-users email list, but have yet to
    > hear back from anyone there.
    >

    > Details:
    >
    > I am helping produce a GPL (GNU's General Public License) -based
    > open-source project that depends on the Xerces-C XML parser module as
    > a dynamic/shared library. Unfortunately, Xerces-C's license (an
    > Apache license) makes it illegal for my project to provide the
    > Xerces-C software or binaries (including the library .dll binary)
    > available via our software distributions or websites in general.
    >
    > Therefore, for our Windows distributions (either source or binary),
    > the user is forced to find Xerces-C on their own. This same issue
    > occurs for other systems, but it's not as big of an issue on these
    > other systems (namely Linux ones) because they tend to have an
    > automated means to acquire libraries and source headers (eg, apt-get
    > on Debian, yum/up2date on Redhat systems, etc).
    >
    > The general procedure for our Windows users will be to download our
    > software (either in source or binary flavor), and then acquire
    > Xerces-C separately. Not as a big problem for those building from
    > source, but for those who don't want to build Xerces-C from source, it
    > sure would be nice if these users had a place to acquire a Xerces-C
    > pre-built binary (paritcularly for Xerces 2.7.0).
    >
    > Fyi, we have the same issue with the OpenSSL libraries, but there
    > seems to be a well-reference site to get these OpenSSL binaries:
    >
    > http://www.openssl.org/related/binaries.html
    > http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html
    >
    > I'm looking for a similar thing (or better yet, multiple places) to
    > get Xerces-C Windows library binaries (again, preferrably for 2.7.0,
    > but 2.6.0 may suffice).
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > -Matt
    > --
    > Remove the "downwithspammers-" text to email me.

  4. Re: Need alt Xerces-C (xml parser) lib binary for GPL compliance

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:11:03 -0400, Joseph Kesselman
    wrote:

    >I Am Not A Lawyer, but I strongly suspect you're misreading Apache's
    >license.

    Well, we are told the GPL is not compatible with Apache, or so says
    our legal representation as well as:

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

    However...

    > There really shouldn't be a problem with your making the DLL
    >available from your own website, as long as you do so under their
    >license (which should be easy; just make it a separate download from
    >your own code).

    ....maybe this doesn't preclude us from distributing the Xerces DLL
    with a different license? Hmmmm....I'll have to check that out.
    Thanks for the heads up.

    >The standard Xerces binary distribution is available direct from Apache
    >and their shadows, though I can't vouch for whether that's as a DLL or
    >in some other form. See http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/download.cgi

    Somehow we overlooked this stuff, too. I do see a MSVC collection
    there, now sure how well this is going to link with my mingw stuff.

    I'll check out the distribution-under-Apache license first. Thanks
    again.

    -Matt
    --
    Remove the "downwithspammers-" text to email me.

+ Reply to Thread