Adding own FTP-based Folder to Windows Explorer/My Computer - Programmer

This is a discussion on Adding own FTP-based Folder to Windows Explorer/My Computer - Programmer ; I have been looking online (though not successfully, probably for lack of precise terminology for what I want to do ) for an example/tutorial for how to plug in one's own FTP-based folder that is viewable in Windows Explorer, but ...

  1. Adding own FTP-based Folder to Windows Explorer/My Computer

    I have been looking online (though not successfully, probably for lack
    of precise terminology for what I want to do ) for an
    example/tutorial for how to plug in one's own FTP-based folder that is
    viewable in Windows Explorer, but I can't seem to find anything. Can
    someone point me in the right direction?

    What I am looking for is this. I need to know how to write a program
    that can install a "folder" into the Windows Explorer tree-view, that
    when clicked on will actually access files from a remote FTP server, or
    something. I suppose this could also be done through My Computer;
    presumably it is the same thing. I just need to know how to 'hook' my
    code for the folder into the folder hierarchy. I'm really just looking
    for a pointer to a site that discusses this, or even some ideas on
    terms to search for.

    Thanks for any help,
    jab3

  2. Re: Adding own FTP-based Folder to Windows Explorer/My Computer

    "jab3" wrote in message
    news:1143179961.727812.244220@t31g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have been looking online (though not successfully, probably for lack
    > of precise terminology for what I want to do ) for an
    > example/tutorial for how to plug in one's own FTP-based folder that is
    > viewable in Windows Explorer, but I can't seem to find anything. Can
    > someone point me in the right direction?

    This is called "Shell Extensions" -- your particular example may be a
    Namespace extension (my guess).
    Take a look at http://www.codeproject.com/shell/
    The Complete Idiots guide to shell extensions (that's what it is called!)
    introduces the main elements in easy-to-digest chunks. If you're comfortable
    with those you can try the Namespace extension tuts.
    I got as far as showing custom pop-up info for certain files in the
    Explorer; on my system pointing to an HTML file pops up its title! But they
    are hell to debug...

    [Jongware]

+ Reply to Thread