Is a windows programmer out there that would like to... - Programmer

This is a discussion on Is a windows programmer out there that would like to... - Programmer ; Is a windows programmer out there that would like to assist me in making a very simple windows program that will customize the windows desktop in an unique way using ACTIVE DESKTOP? This program will be freeware. Contact me on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

  1. Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    Is a windows programmer out there that would like to assist me in making a
    very simple windows program

    that will customize the windows desktop in an unique way using ACTIVE
    DESKTOP? This program will be freeware.

    Contact me on this page and we will dicuss it

    http://www.computerboom.net/contact.htm

    Thanks!



    *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

  2. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John Jay Smith wrote:

    > Is a windows programmer out there that...


    To get with someone's hobbies, attend a programming users group in your
    area.

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!



  3. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    Can you explain what you just replied?


    "Phlip" wrote in message
    news:Fz1Kf.15461$NS6.11990@newssvr30.news.prodigy. com...
    > John Jay Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Is a windows programmer out there that...

    >
    > To get with someone's hobbies, attend a programming users group in your
    > area.
    >
    > --
    > Phlip
    > http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!
    >



    *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

  4. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John Jay Smith wrote:
    >
    > Your assumptions are incorrect.
    > I have a reason why my post is like this.
    > And I am at the correct newsgroup posting the correct post in the
    > correct manner.


    You have committed two gross errors. First, you cross-posted to
    several newsgroups without setting follow-ups to one. Secondly,
    when you received replies, you top-posted your own reply, even
    though there was a request not to do so. Top-posting in technical
    newsgroups is foolish and counter-productive. Doing so after being
    informed better is just plain rude.

    In case you do not know what top-posting means, it means failing to
    place your reply after (or intermixed with) the material to which
    you respond, after snipping out portions not germane to your
    reply. You can also refer to the links in my sig. below.

    --
    Some informative links:
    news:news.announce.newusers
    http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html



  5. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    I disagree compleatly with your thought that bottom posting is better than
    top posting.

    Im my many years of experience I have seen that top posting is smarter, more
    productive and more efficent. You are the one who must change.


    "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    news:43F8D71C.7C2686D8@yahoo.com...
    > John Jay Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> Your assumptions are incorrect.
    >> I have a reason why my post is like this.
    >> And I am at the correct newsgroup posting the correct post in the
    >> correct manner.

    >
    > You have committed two gross errors. First, you cross-posted to
    > several newsgroups without setting follow-ups to one. Secondly,
    > when you received replies, you top-posted your own reply, even
    > though there was a request not to do so. Top-posting in technical
    > newsgroups is foolish and counter-productive. Doing so after being
    > informed better is just plain rude.
    >
    > In case you do not know what top-posting means, it means failing to
    > place your reply after (or intermixed with) the material to which
    > you respond, after snipping out portions not germane to your
    > reply. You can also refer to the links in my sig. below.
    >
    > --
    > Some informative links:
    > news:news.announce.newusers
    > http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
    > http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
    >
    >



    *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

  6. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John Jay Smith wrote:

    >I disagree compleatly with your thought that bottom posting is better than
    >top posting.
    >
    > Im my many years of experience I have seen that top posting is smarter,
    > more productive and more efficent. You are the one who must change.


    A: Because it screws up the order you should read a post.

    Q: Why is top-posting wrong?

    Top-posting is for slobs who don't want to trim their quotes down to a
    complete, readable post.

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!



  7. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    The order is correct. You read the new information first, then and only then
    if you want to remind yourself of what another person said before, then you
    scroll down.

    In the bottom post you ALWAYS have to scroll down. I call that stupid and
    non productive.

    Furthermore emails and newsposts must be seen in the same manner and treated
    the same.
    To do it differently will create confusion.

    The "general guideline" of bottom posting is too old to apply in todays fast
    information age.
    Those was set out long ago and they do not nor should apply any longer.

    You can say all you like about slobs, but you are living in a world of
    fantasy.
    People want to use ways that are fast and efficient, even if that means that
    you will have to change your ways in order to keep up.

    As for the previous poster... he is what we call a netcop. He cannot tell
    how a person will post,
    nor the structure nor the information inside that post.

    This thread could go on for a long time, however I am too busy to be losing
    my time in such a way.



    "Phlip" wrote in message
    news:U66Kf.16401$tb3.11934@newssvr24.news.prodigy. net...
    > John Jay Smith wrote:
    >
    >>I disagree compleatly with your thought that bottom posting is better than
    >>top posting.
    >>
    >> Im my many years of experience I have seen that top posting is smarter,
    >> more productive and more efficent. You are the one who must change.

    >
    > A: Because it screws up the order you should read a post.
    >
    > Q: Why is top-posting wrong?
    >
    > Top-posting is for slobs who don't want to trim their quotes down to a
    > complete, readable post.
    >
    > --
    > Phlip
    > http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!
    >



    *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

  8. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John wrote:
    ) The order is correct. You read the new information first, then and only then
    ) if you want to remind yourself of what another person said before, then you
    ) scroll down.

    False. You first establish a context and then you read what is said in
    that context. For example, during the above sentence, I was wondering what
    order you meant and had to scroll down to see what you were replying to.

    ) In the bottom post you ALWAYS have to scroll down. I call that stupid and
    ) non productive.

    The *correct* form is neither top nor bottom posting. It is to quote
    relevant material and replying to that directly below each bit.
    In this way, you do not have to scroll down to get to the new information.

    ) Furthermore emails and newsposts must be seen in the same manner and treated
    ) the same.

    No they don't. Emails are one-to-one conversations. Newsposts are public
    and will be read by others. This creates different requirements, and
    proper quoting of context is one of them.

    ) To do it differently will create confusion.

    Furthermore, there is no reason *not* to use proper usenet quoting style in
    email, therefore your argument becomes one for using this style in email as
    well.


    Note: I have snipped the non-arguments and ad hominem attacks.


    SaSW, Willem
    --
    Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any of the statements
    made in the above text. For all I know I might be
    drugged or something..
    No I'm not paranoid. You all think I'm paranoid, don't you !
    #EOT

  9. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    What you say would be correct if we had too much time on our hands, snipping
    parts of a post and replying to them is preferable. However most of us in
    the information age do not have time to spare.
    Perhaps as a programmer you can think of a way to automate this and create
    an new intelligent newsreader.

    The same could apply for a person who top posts, as I do and in many times
    when I need to give a
    precise answer I do format the post accordingly. For example:

    > Furthermore, there is no reason *not* to use proper usenet quoting style
    > in
    > email, therefore your argument becomes one for using this style in email
    > as
    > well.


    There is a reason. I do not follow YOUR version of usenet quoting because I
    don't like it
    and I think its inferior. I am not accustomed to doing things a certain way
    just because
    they are the established way. I do things my own way and I am usually right
    by doing so.
    I am clearly stating that the bottom way of posting is something that will
    change very soon and the starting point for this is VISTA. I cannot give out
    more information now.
    There are things going on in technology that most people are not aware of.

    So what does all this have to do with my original request? Seems like
    programmers here are more interested in
    chit chatting than programming!




    "Willem" wrote in message
    news:slrndvhuo5.21g.willem@toad.stack.nl...
    > John wrote:
    > ) The order is correct. You read the new information first, then and only
    > then
    > ) if you want to remind yourself of what another person said before, then
    > you
    > ) scroll down.
    >
    > False. You first establish a context and then you read what is said in
    > that context. For example, during the above sentence, I was wondering
    > what
    > order you meant and had to scroll down to see what you were replying to.
    >
    > ) In the bottom post you ALWAYS have to scroll down. I call that stupid
    > and
    > ) non productive.
    >
    > The *correct* form is neither top nor bottom posting. It is to quote
    > relevant material and replying to that directly below each bit.
    > In this way, you do not have to scroll down to get to the new information.
    >
    > ) Furthermore emails and newsposts must be seen in the same manner and
    > treated
    > ) the same.
    >
    > No they don't. Emails are one-to-one conversations. Newsposts are public
    > and will be read by others. This creates different requirements, and
    > proper quoting of context is one of them.
    >
    > ) To do it differently will create confusion.
    >
    > Furthermore, there is no reason *not* to use proper usenet quoting style
    > in
    > email, therefore your argument becomes one for using this style in email
    > as
    > well.
    >
    >
    > Note: I have snipped the non-arguments and ad hominem attacks.
    >
    >
    > SaSW, Willem
    > --
    > Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any of the statements
    > made in the above text. For all I know I might be
    > drugged or something..
    > No I'm not paranoid. You all think I'm paranoid, don't you !
    > #EOT



    *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

  10. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John Jay Smith wrote:
    > What you say would be correct if we had too much time on our hands, snipping
    > parts of a post and replying to them is preferable. However most of us in
    > the information age do not have time to spare.
    > Perhaps as a programmer you can think of a way to automate this and create
    > an new intelligent newsreader.


    I believe that the responses you received are indeed designed to create
    more intelligent news readers and news posters.

    >
    > The same could apply for a person who top posts, as I do and in many times
    > when I need to give a
    > precise answer I do format the post accordingly. For example:
    >
    > > Furthermore, there is no reason *not* to use proper usenet quoting style
    > > in
    > > email, therefore your argument becomes one for using this style in email
    > > as
    > > well.

    >
    > There is a reason. I do not follow YOUR version of usenet quoting because I
    > don't like it
    > and I think its inferior. I am not accustomed to doing things a certain way
    > just because
    > they are the established way. I do things my own way and I am usually right
    > by doing so.
    > I am clearly stating that the bottom way of posting is something that will
    > change very soon and the starting point for this is VISTA. I cannot give out
    > more information now.


    You might find more sympathy to your M$-centrism safely among the
    ms-windows groups.

    > There are things going on in technology that most people are not aware of.


    Certainly more than is dreamt of in your Windows-verse, Horatio.

    >
    > So what does all this have to do with my original request? Seems like
    > programmers here are more interested in
    > chit chatting than programming!


    Some of us, not having to deal with defragging, reinstalling, virus
    scanning, saving up for the next worthless 'upgrade', have time to
    contemplate solutions rather than being bogged down with Bill's
    platform's problems.

    > ...
    >
    >
    > *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    > *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***



  11. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John Jay Smith wrote:

    > In the bottom post you ALWAYS have to scroll down. I call that stupid and
    > non productive.


    You saw where I said "trim their quotes", right?

    > However most of us in the information age do not have time to spare.


    That's just a bad vibe. Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they
    are yours!

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!



  12. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    Vibes?.... ok. How about this?

    "I have abundant time to use on things that are important to me,
    and offer me and the ones I care about, advancement and satisfaction.

    Things that distract me from my goals, or waste my time will be a thing of
    the past.
    Also I will never ever bottom post because that is also a waste of time."



    "Phlip" wrote in message
    news:yI7Kf.1596$%m4.829@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com ...
    > John Jay Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In the bottom post you ALWAYS have to scroll down. I call that stupid and
    >> non productive.

    >
    > You saw where I said "trim their quotes", right?
    >
    >> However most of us in the information age do not have time to spare.

    >
    > That's just a bad vibe. Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they
    > are yours!
    >
    > --
    > Phlip
    > http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!
    >



    *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

  13. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John Jay Smith wrote:

    > Things that distract me from my goals, or waste my time will be a thing of
    > the past.
    > Also I will never ever bottom post because that is also a waste of time."


    And I will never read your posts again, because...

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!



  14. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John Jay Smith wrote: (and rudely top-posted)
    >
    > The order is correct. You read the new information first, then
    > and only then if you want to remind yourself of what another
    > person said before, then you scroll down.
    >
    > In the bottom post you ALWAYS have to scroll down. I call that
    > stupid and non productive.
    >
    > Furthermore emails and newsposts must be seen in the same manner
    > and treated the same. To do it differently will create confusion.
    >
    > The "general guideline" of bottom posting is too old to apply in
    > todays fast information age. Those was set out long ago and
    > they do not nor should apply any longer.


    There is a simple solution for rude boors who refuse to comply with
    Usenet standards. PLONK

    --
    "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use
    the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on
    "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the
    "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson
    More details at:
    Also see



  15. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John wrote:
    ) What you say would be correct if we had too much time on our hands, snipping
    ) parts of a post and replying to them is preferable. However most of us in
    ) the information age do not have time to spare.

    So what you are saying is you top-post because it takes *you* more time
    to quote parts and reply to them, and you can't spare that time ?
    I'm inclined to think that you don't take much time actually thinking
    about what you write then, either.

    ) There is a reason. I do not follow YOUR version of usenet quoting because I
    ) don't like it and I think its inferior.

    On one side, there are actual arguments, on the other side there is your
    personal taste. I see you find personal taste more important.


    SaSW, Willem
    --
    Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any of the statements
    made in the above text. For all I know I might be
    drugged or something..
    No I'm not paranoid. You all think I'm paranoid, don't you !
    #EOT

  16. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John wrote:
    ) Vibes?.... ok. How about this?
    )
    ) "I have abundant time to use on things that are important to me,
    ) and offer me and the ones I care about, advancement and satisfaction.
    )
    ) Things that distract me from my goals, or waste my time will be a thing of
    ) the past.
    ) Also I will never ever bottom post because that is also a waste of time."

    A waste of *your* time, but a savings of a lot of other peoples time.


    SaSW, Willem
    --
    Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any of the statements
    made in the above text. For all I know I might be
    drugged or something..
    No I'm not paranoid. You all think I'm paranoid, don't you !
    #EOT

  17. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    In article <43F8D71C.7C2686D8@yahoo.com>, cbfalconer@yahoo.com says...
    > John Jay Smith wrote:
    > >
    > > Your assumptions are incorrect.
    > > I have a reason why my post is like this.
    > > And I am at the correct newsgroup posting the correct post in the
    > > correct manner.

    >
    > You have committed two gross errors. First, you cross-posted to
    > several newsgroups without setting follow-ups to one.


    Complete drivel. There is nothing wrong with doing the above, in most
    circumstances. Setting follow-ups is usually an ignorant and
    disruptive act, as most people interested in the subject will not want
    to have to subscribe to a newsgroup which they do not read to continue
    the conversation. (And if none are interested, it was the crosspost
    that was the error.)

    - Gerry Quinn



  18. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    In article <43f9000a$0$9162$6d36acad@titian.nntpserver.com>,
    john@jay.smith says...

    > What you say would be correct if we had too much time on our hands, snipping
    > parts of a post and replying to them is preferable. However most of us in
    > the information age do not have time to spare.


    If you don't have time for this minuscule task, it is unlikely that you
    have time to formulate posts that are of any interest to readers. May
    I suggest that you don't bother at all. Perhaps you would then even
    have time to produce the simple freeware that you are begging for help
    with.

    Clue: it is not only your time that is valuable.

    - Gerry Quinn

  19. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    Gerry Quinn wrote:
    > cbfalconer@yahoo.com says...
    >

    .... snip ...
    >>
    >> You have committed two gross errors. First, you cross-posted to
    >> several newsgroups without setting follow-ups to one.

    >
    > Complete drivel. There is nothing wrong with doing the above, in
    > most circumstances. Setting follow-ups is usually an ignorant and
    > disruptive act, as most people interested in the subject will not
    > want to have to subscribe to a newsgroup which they do not read to
    > continue the conversation. (And if none are interested, it was
    > the crosspost that was the error.)


    There is everything wrong with failing to set follow-ups.
    Primarily it avoids the generation of tedious never-ending
    off-topic threads infested with kooks from every corner.
    Secondarily it does not prevent any reply from cancelling the
    follow-up setting, if the responder is so bent on preserving the
    thread in his/her/its own newsgroup. If the originator does not
    monitor the cross-posted groups the odds are that the cross-post
    was off topic in the first place, and if he does so monitor he
    doesn't need the thread to appear in them all anyhow.

    The newsgroups are separate in the first place for a reason. If
    you consider the possible reasons carefully you may see why
    cross-posting without setting follow-ups is wrong. Even Nixon
    wouldn't do it.

    --
    "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use
    the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on
    "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the
    "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson
    More details at:
    Also see



  20. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John Jay Smith wrote:
    > I disagree compleatly with your thought that bottom posting is better than
    > top posting.
    >
    > Im my many years of experience I have seen that top posting is smarter, more
    > productive and more efficent. You are the one who must change.


    You may not know much about Windows programming, but you
    certainly know how to win friends and influence people. Good luck
    finding a collaborator.

    JS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast