Is a windows programmer out there that would like to... - Programmer

This is a discussion on Is a windows programmer out there that would like to... - Programmer ; On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:28:24 +0200, "John Jay Smith" wrote: >What you say would be correct if we had too much time on our hands, snipping >parts of a post and replying to them is preferable. However most of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    wrote:

    >What you say would be correct if we had too much time on our hands, snipping
    >parts of a post and replying to them is preferable. However most of us in
    >the information age do not have time to spare.

    Which is why I don't read your posts past the point where they refer
    to a post you are replying to. In the case above, I've extended that
    by one sentence, so that others can see what I'm replying to.

    "What you say" causes an immediate break. What *did* he say? Why
    should I waste time to go looking for it?

    Apparently you have too much time on your hands.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

  2. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    John Jay Smith wrote
    (in article <43f90ade$0$4347$6d36acad@titian.nntpserver.com>):

    > Things that distract me from my goals, or waste my time will be a thing of
    > the past.

    good point. since I agree, I am forced to...

    *plonk*

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

  3. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    In article <43F9ED76.E754D6CD@yahoo.com>, cbfalconer@yahoo.com says...
    > Gerry Quinn wrote:
    > > cbfalconer@yahoo.com says...
    > >>
    > >> You have committed two gross errors. First, you cross-posted to
    > >> several newsgroups without setting follow-ups to one.

    > > Complete drivel. There is nothing wrong with doing the above, in
    > > most circumstances. Setting follow-ups is usually an ignorant and
    > > disruptive act, as most people interested in the subject will not
    > > want to have to subscribe to a newsgroup which they do not read to
    > > continue the conversation. (And if none are interested, it was
    > > the crosspost that was the error.)

    > There is everything wrong with failing to set follow-ups.
    > Primarily it avoids the generation of tedious never-ending
    > off-topic threads infested with kooks from every corner.

    Cross-posting to the appropriate newsgroups should prevent that.

    > Secondarily it does not prevent any reply from cancelling the
    > follow-up setting, if the responder is so bent on preserving the
    > thread in his/her/its own newsgroup. If the originator does not
    > monitor the cross-posted groups the odds are that the cross-post
    > was off topic in the first place, and if he does so monitor he
    > doesn't need the thread to appear in them all anyhow.

    The originator doesn't matter particularly. Most threads are
    conversations. Even those who do not respond to them may well take an
    interested. This will be destroyed if they are chopped up and sent to
    unsubscribed newsgroups by net-cops setting follow-ups.

    > The newsgroups are separate in the first place for a reason.

    And cross-posting exists for a reason.

    > If
    > you consider the possible reasons carefully you may see why
    > cross-posting without setting follow-ups is wrong.

    I have considered it, and I see that it is usually right.

    - Gerry Quinn

  4. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:11:38 -0000, Gerry Quinn
    wrote:

    >> If
    >> you consider the possible reasons carefully you may see why
    >> cross-posting without setting follow-ups is wrong.

    >I have considered it, and I see that it is usually right.

    I agree. If the cross-post was legitimate, followups should go to all
    the cross-posted groups.

    I particularly hate it when someone not the OP takes it upon himself
    to restrict replies to a particular group.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

  5. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    Al Balmer wrote:
    > "What you say" causes an immediate break. What *did* he say? Why
    > should I waste time to go looking for it?

    [top vs bottom-posting]

    John Jay Smith has a point. Top-posting *can* save time scrolling with
    certain newsreaders (especially annoying when there is no mouse).

    Anyway when following a thread you will often already have seen the
    prior posts.

    Perhaps the newsreader itself can have an option to reorder the message
    so it need not be an issue.

    bart.

  6. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    "Bart" wrote in message
    news:1140545645.616494.18940@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...

    > [top vs bottom-posting]

    [...]
    > Perhaps the newsreader itself can have an option to reorder the message
    > so it need not be an issue.

    This would only work if there were an agreed upon format for quoting
    posts, among other things. A lot of people use '>' at the beginning of every
    line, but other people might use ':' or some other characters. Also, some
    newsreaders re-wrap messages that are quoted, but what if the quoted message
    contains ASCII diagrams (e.g. UML diagrams)? Sometimes re-wrapping is not
    desired.

    Because we're essentially just sending around arbitrary text streams, a
    newsreader would have to be extremely intelligent (boarding on AI sentient)
    to be able to handle every case.

    - Oliver

  7. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    Al Balmer wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:11:38 -0000, Gerry Quinn
    >
    >>> If you consider the possible reasons carefully you may see why
    >>> cross-posting without setting follow-ups is wrong.

    >> I have considered it, and I see that it is usually right.

    > I agree. If the cross-post was legitimate, followups should go to
    > all the cross-posted groups.

    Not so. The original cross post may have been advisory, or
    designed to attract attention from a wide group. At any rate there
    is no need to continue inflicting the thread on all those innocent
    bystanders.

    > I particularly hate it when someone not the OP takes it upon
    > himself to restrict replies to a particular group.

    At least here I agree. That someone has no idea where the home
    group should be. The exception being to truncate troll or obscene
    takeovers.

    More details at:
    Also see

  8. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    Bart wrote:
    ) [top vs bottom-posting]
    )
    ) John Jay Smith has a point. Top-posting *can* save time scrolling with
    ) certain newsreaders (especially annoying when there is no mouse).

    If you intersperse comments, and trim the context properly, you don't need
    *any* scrolling. Quoting an entire article and replying at the bottom is
    just as bad as top posting. Sheesh.

    ) Anyway when following a thread you will often already have seen the
    ) prior posts.

    Usually most people will have seen the original post when it was posted,
    and then after a while will see the reply. Are you asking everyone to
    remember every post they read hours, even days ago ?

    SaSW, Willem
    drugged or something..
    #EOT

  9. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    On 21 Feb 2006 10:14:05 -0800, "Bart" wrote:

    >Al Balmer wrote:
    >> "What you say" causes an immediate break. What *did* he say? Why
    >> should I waste time to go looking for it?

    >[top vs bottom-posting]
    >
    >John Jay Smith has a point. Top-posting *can* save time scrolling with
    >certain newsreaders (especially annoying when there is no mouse).

    Oh? How far did you have to scroll to read this?

    >Anyway when following a thread you will often already have seen the
    >prior posts.

    Don't be silly. I've seen thousands of prior posts.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

  10. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Al Balmer wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:11:38 -0000, Gerry Quinn

    >>>I have considered it, and I see that it is usually right.

    >>I agree. If the cross-post was legitimate, followups should go to
    >>all the cross-posted groups.

    > Not so. The original cross post may have been advisory, or
    > designed to attract attention from a wide group. At any rate there
    > is no need to continue inflicting the thread on all those innocent
    > bystanders.
    >

    >>I particularly hate it when someone not the OP takes it upon
    >>himself to restrict replies to a particular group.

    > At least here I agree. That someone has no idea where the home
    > group should be. The exception being to truncate troll or obscene
    > takeovers.

    Excaus me, sire, but j00 all are teh noobz, may I say.

  11. Re: Is a windows programmer out there that would like to...