"unresolved symbol _main" yet i do have a main() method - Programmer

This is a discussion on "unresolved symbol _main" yet i do have a main() method - Programmer ; i am trying to get a game i wrote i couple of years ago to build on my current machine, but i am having some trouble. i'm using Visual Studio .NET 2003. the game is written in C++. it's written ...

  1. "unresolved symbol _main" yet i do have a main() method

    i am trying to get a game i wrote i couple of years ago to build on my
    current machine, but i am having some trouble.

    i'm using Visual Studio .NET 2003. the game is written in C++. it's
    written with cross-platform libraries but i only had a makefile for
    building it on OS X and linux, so i've been trying to get it build with
    VS.

    after getting all the dependencies in order, it compiles fine, but
    fails when linking with the "error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
    _main referenced in function _mainCRTStartup" message.

    this would normally mean that i don't have a main() function (i forgot
    to put main() in or am trying to build a win32 application from a
    console project), and yet i DO have int main(int argc, char** argv).
    the file with main() is in the "Source Files" folder of my project,
    along with the other source files, and i can verify that it's compiling
    because it says so in the build log.

    anybody have an idea why LIBC.lib can't find my main()?

    thanks,
    Byron

  2. Re: "unresolved symbol _main" yet i do have a main() method

    hah, never mind.

    i didn't RTFM. i am using SDL in my project and had forgotten that it
    redefines main(). i was missing the SDLmain.lib library so it wasn't
    linking in the real main().

    -Byron

+ Reply to Thread