DLLs - State of Play. - Programmer

This is a discussion on DLLs - State of Play. - Programmer ; Hello, I want to develop a modular application (i.e., have a 'core engine' and effectively plug-in / bol-on extra code modules dynamically. I am a little out of touch with Win32 / MFC development and need some advice. So, my ...

  1. DLLs - State of Play.

    Hello,

    I want to develop a modular application (i.e., have a 'core engine' and
    effectively plug-in / bol-on extra code modules dynamically. I am a
    little out of touch with Win32 / MFC development and need some advice.

    So, my question is this:

    Are standard DLLs (in a Windows development environment) still the
    'de-facto' standard for writing plug-in style code or have they been
    superseded by something else that I should be aware of?

    Thanks for any feedback,
    Jason

  2. Re: DLLs - State of Play.

    jturner1...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > Are standard DLLs (in a Windows development environment) still the
    > 'de-facto' standard for writing plug-in style code or have they been
    > superseded by something else that I should be aware of?

    They never where.

  3. Re: DLLs - State of Play.

    Old style DLLs work fine in current world as well. If you are using
    MFC, it will be helpful to look at types of DLLs offered by MFC as
    well(extension/regular ).

    ---------
    Ajay Kalra
    ajaykalra@yahoo.com

  4. Re: DLLs - State of Play.

    Applications like Acrobat uses plugins with extension .api which are
    nothing but
    win32 dlls. That speaks for itself , you may want to take some clue from
    adobe sdk
    also to get a sense.

    --
    Vipin Aravind

    wrote in message
    news:1138824688.975636.125540@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to develop a modular application (i.e., have a 'core engine' and
    > effectively plug-in / bol-on extra code modules dynamically. I am a
    > little out of touch with Win32 / MFC development and need some advice.
    >
    > So, my question is this:
    >

    > Are standard DLLs (in a Windows development environment) still the
    > 'de-facto' standard for writing plug-in style code or have they been
    > superseded by something else that I should be aware of?
    >

    > Thanks for any feedback,
    > Jason

  5. Re: DLLs - State of Play.

    Ajay,

    Thanks for the reply.

    MFC is on it's way out though, isn't it? I thought WinFX is to replace
    Win32 / MFC very soon. So, will DLLs as we know them now be backwards
    compatible or are theyphasing thse out to make way for a new approach?

    Thanks,

  6. Re: DLLs - State of Play.

    > MFC is on it's way out though, isn't it? I thought WinFX is to replace Win32 / MFC very soon.

    I dont think thats going to happen. There are way too many application
    written using MFC. MFC may not however see any significant
    enhancements.

    >will DLLs as we know them now be backwards compatible

    Yes. There is no way MSFT will kill previous deployed code.

    ---------
    Ajay Kalra
    ajaykalra@yahoo.com

  7. Re: DLLs - State of Play.