Measuring time differences precisly under Windows - Programmer

This is a discussion on Measuring time differences precisly under Windows - Programmer ; Hi! I'm currently developing a tool which reads voltages from an USB-AD-converter and outputs time/voltage pairs. Therefore I need a way of measuring the time as precise as possible (microseconds). The best way I found to do so in standard ...

  1. Measuring time differences precisly under Windows

    Hi!

    I'm currently developing a tool which reads voltages from an
    USB-AD-converter and outputs time/voltage pairs. Therefore I need a way
    of measuring the time as precise as possible (microseconds).

    The best way I found to do so in standard C(++) was
    clock()/double(CLK_TCK), which is obviously not a really good solution.
    Another solution would be time(), but that function is far away from the
    accuracy I wish to achive.

    As the program is only required to run under the Windows operating
    system, I don't need to keep with standard C; so I want to know whether
    there is a way to measure times (finally I only need the time since the
    start of the measurement (which is approximately the start of the
    program), so I don't neccessarily need "absolute values" like returned
    by time()), and how to do so to achive the most exact results.

    Thank you very much!
    Yours,
    Dominik Wallner

  2. Re: Measuring time differences precisly under Windows

    Dominik Wallner wrote:
    > I'm currently developing a tool which reads voltages from an
    > USB-AD-converter and outputs time/voltage pairs. Therefore I need a way
    > of measuring the time as precise as possible (microseconds).
    >
    > The best way I found to do so in standard C(++) was
    > clock()/double(CLK_TCK), which is obviously not a really good solution.
    > Another solution would be time(), but that function is far away from the
    > accuracy I wish to achive.
    >
    > As the program is only required to run under the Windows operating
    > system, I don't need to keep with standard C; so I want to know whether
    > there is a way to measure times (finally I only need the time since the
    > start of the measurement (which is approximately the start of the
    > program), so I don't neccessarily need "absolute values" like returned
    > by time()), and how to do so to achive the most exact results.

    I found a solution on another group. Here it is for those interested:
    http://www.geisswerks.com/ryan/FAQS/timing.html

    Greetings,
    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread