Is registry suitable to store application data? - Programmer

This is a discussion on Is registry suitable to store application data? - Programmer ; Hello, I am developing an application which will store data about users (max. 1000 users, 100 bytes for each user). I store data in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\MyApplication. My colleague has said me that I should store application data in ...

  1. Is registry suitable to store application data?

    Hello,

    I am developing an application which will store
    data about users (max. 1000 users, 100 bytes
    for each user).
    I store data in
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\MyApplication.

    My colleague has said me that I should store
    application data in Windows's Registry.
    I think that it is bad idea because of system performance
    and destination of registry.

    What do you think, is registry convenient
    to store about 100 000 bytes of application data?
    If yes or not, what are arguments?

    Thanks in advance.

    Robot

  2. Re: Is registry suitable to store application data?

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:11:29 +0100, "Robot"
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am developing an application which will store
    >data about users (max. 1000 users, 100 bytes
    >for each user).
    >I store data in
    >C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\MyApplication.
    >
    >My colleague has said me that I should store
    >application data in Windows's Registry.
    >I think that it is bad idea because of system performance
    >and destination of registry.
    >
    >What do you think, is registry convenient
    >to store about 100 000 bytes of application data?
    >If yes or not, what are arguments?

    I suggest checking the following newsgroup threads:

    11-24 Aug 04 " registry entry or file"
    microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui

    5-8 Oct 04 "Registry hack ?" comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Robot

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.