autorun - Programmer

This is a discussion on autorun - Programmer ; I recently scanned family pictures and want to make CD's to give the family. Because of the user level of a lot of the family members I want to auto start the default browser with the index html file. I ...

  1. autorun

    I recently scanned family pictures and want to make CD's to give the
    family. Because of the user level of a lot of the family members I
    want to auto start
    the default browser with the index html file. I have produced a cd
    image that looks like this:

    AUTORUN.inf 1 KB 10/20/2005 8:53:38 PM
    Van/ 10/19/2005 8:32:17 PM
    White/ 10/19/2005 8:36:59 PM
    begin.htm 2 KB 10/20/2005 8:32:56 PM
    houses/ 10/19/2005 8:45:57 PM
    img/ 10/20/2005 9:03:44 PM
    old/ 10/19/2005 8:39:57 PM

    The autorun looks like this:

    [autorun]
    open=begin.htm
    icon=img\gvphoto.ico

    When I burn a CD and load it begin.htm doesn't come up in a browser.
    The icon does get used. I am not a windows programmer, I usually work
    with a different OS. What line of attact should I take on this?

  2. Re: autorun

    I just saw something from a previous post.

    Should I replace

    open="begin.htm"

    with

    shellexecute="begin.htm"

    It would be more intuitive to use open rather than
    shellexecute, but whatever works.

  3. Re: autorun

    On 21 Oct 2005 11:24:24 -0700, "Gary" wrote:

    >I just saw something from a previous post.
    >
    >Should I replace
    >
    >open="begin.htm"

    Quotation marks are not necessary unless the path (stuff on the right
    side of the equal sign) includes spaces. Maybe not even then. But
    adding them won't cause any problems (except a few extra keystrokes
    for the human editor).

    >with
    >
    >shellexecute="begin.htm"
    >
    >It would be more intuitive to use open rather than
    >shellexecute, but whatever works.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  4. Re: autorun

    On 21 Oct 2005 11:12:47 -0700, "Gary" wrote:

    >I recently scanned family pictures and want to make CD's to give the
    >family. Because of the user level of a lot of the family members I
    >want to auto start
    >the default browser with the index html file. I have produced a cd
    >image that looks like this:
    >
    >AUTORUN.inf 1 KB 10/20/2005 8:53:38 PM
    >Van/ 10/19/2005 8:32:17 PM
    >White/ 10/19/2005 8:36:59 PM
    >begin.htm 2 KB 10/20/2005 8:32:56 PM
    >houses/ 10/19/2005 8:45:57 PM
    >img/ 10/20/2005 9:03:44 PM
    >old/ 10/19/2005 8:39:57 PM
    >
    >The autorun looks like this:
    >
    >[autorun]
    >open=begin.htm

    Is begin.htm in the root directory of the CD? If not, then the path
    (stuff on the right side of the equals sign) must include the
    directory. I'm inclined to recommend including the full path starting
    with the root of the CD (e.g., \begin.htm). But I just checked one of
    my autorun.inf files and see I use the file name by itself.

    Is autorun disabled on the computer you used for testing? If it's your
    computer and you don't know, then probably not. It is definitely on by
    default. And not easily disabled.

    >icon=img\gvphoto.ico
    >

    >When I burn a CD and load it begin.htm doesn't come up in a browser.
    >The icon does get used. I am not a windows programmer, I usually work
    >with a different OS. What line of attact should I take on this?

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  5. Re: autorun

    begin.htm is in the root directory of the CD. Autorun file on Kodak
    photo CDs that I
    have work just fine. Is there a preference between using "open" and
    "shellexecute"?

  6. Re: autorun

    On 23 Oct 2005 08:46:12 -0700, "Gary" wrote:

    >begin.htm is in the root directory of the CD. Autorun file on Kodak
    >photo CDs that I
    >have work just fine. Is there a preference between using "open" and
    >"shellexecute"?

    I sure don't know offhand. But I just used google
    (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
    shellexecute open autorun
    and got 632 hits. The second thread on my list includes a 26 Aug 2000
    contribution by John A. Grant to a thread called "Autorun Photo CD?"
    in rec.photo.digital, and that thread says shellexecute is supported
    only in some versions of Windows (I infer 2000 and newer). You might
    find more info by looking at other threads in the list you get.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116