ASP.NET - Programmer

This is a discussion on ASP.NET - Programmer ; I have Windows XP. I would like to write some ASP.NET code. Do I have to install any software for ASP.NET? My primary platform is Unix, I am not very good in Windows. Please help. tks....

  1. ASP.NET

    I have Windows XP. I would like to write some ASP.NET code. Do I have to
    install any software for ASP.NET? My primary platform is Unix, I am not very
    good in Windows. Please help.
    tks.

  2. Re: ASP.NET

    cljlk wrote:
    > I have Windows XP. I would like to write some ASP.NET code. Do I have
    > to install any software for ASP.NET?

    You have XP Pro, do you? So you already have a local version of IIS or
    you can easily install it as described here, for example:
    http://www.webwizguide.com/asp/tutor..._winXP_pro.asp
    http://www.codefixer.com/tutorials/windows_xp.asp

    Next, you must install the .Net Framework if not already done:

    Then you need a tool to create ASP .Net pages. Although this can be done
    manually with a good editor, you'll want something more productive:

    Visual Studio .Net or Visual Basic .NET or Visual C# .NET
    or
    Web Matrix, which is free (more limited than VS but enough for a start)
    http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default...dex=4&tabId=46

    Web Matrix includes its own mini-webserver so it doesn't require IIS.
    If you don't want to use Visual Studio (or VB .Net or Visual C#), you'll
    want to download the .Net Frameowkr SDK from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en .
    This will give you additional tools for free.

    Finally, go to the tutorials that you can find there:
    http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

    You'll find all necessary information on www.asp.net.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP [.Net]
    MainSoft Consulting Services

  3. Re: ASP.NET

    Thanks, they are very helpful.

    "Patrick Philippot" wrote in message
    > cljlk wrote:
    > > I have Windows XP. I would like to write some ASP.NET code. Do I have
    > > to install any software for ASP.NET?

    > You have XP Pro, do you? So you already have a local version of IIS or
    > you can easily install it as described here, for example:
    > http://www.webwizguide.com/asp/tutor..._winXP_pro.asp
    > http://www.codefixer.com/tutorials/windows_xp.asp
    >
    > Next, you must install the .Net Framework if not already done:

    > Then you need a tool to create ASP .Net pages. Although this can be done
    > manually with a good editor, you'll want something more productive:
    >
    > Visual Studio .Net or Visual Basic .NET or Visual C# .NET
    > or
    > Web Matrix, which is free (more limited than VS but enough for a start)
    > http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default...dex=4&tabId=46
    >
    > Web Matrix includes its own mini-webserver so it doesn't require IIS.
    > If you don't want to use Visual Studio (or VB .Net or Visual C#), you'll
    > want to download the .Net Frameowkr SDK from

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en .
    > This will give you additional tools for free.
    >
    > Finally, go to the tutorials that you can find there:
    > http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1
    >
    > You'll find all necessary information on www.asp.net.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    > Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP [.Net]
    > MainSoft Consulting Services
    > www.mainsoft.xx
    > (replace .xx with .fr when replying by e-mail)

  4. Re: ASP.NET

    I follow the instruction, it requests me install Windows XP perfessional
    Service pack 1. Thus,
    I down load Service Pack 1 from microsoft. The software is in *.exe file.
    It seems that IIS installation requests a software which is not *.exe file.
    Do anyone has any idea.

    "Patrick Philippot" wrote in message
    > cljlk wrote:
    > > I have Windows XP. I would like to write some ASP.NET code. Do I have
    > > to install any software for ASP.NET?

    > You have XP Pro, do you? So you already have a local version of IIS or
    > you can easily install it as described here, for example:
    > http://www.webwizguide.com/asp/tutor..._winXP_pro.asp
    > http://www.codefixer.com/tutorials/windows_xp.asp
    >
    > Next, you must install the .Net Framework if not already done:

    > Then you need a tool to create ASP .Net pages. Although this can be done
    > manually with a good editor, you'll want something more productive:
    >
    > Visual Studio .Net or Visual Basic .NET or Visual C# .NET
    > or
    > Web Matrix, which is free (more limited than VS but enough for a start)
    > http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default...dex=4&tabId=46
    >
    > Web Matrix includes its own mini-webserver so it doesn't require IIS.
    > If you don't want to use Visual Studio (or VB .Net or Visual C#), you'll
    > want to download the .Net Frameowkr SDK from

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en .
    > This will give you additional tools for free.
    >
    > Finally, go to the tutorials that you can find there:
    > http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1
    >
    > You'll find all necessary information on www.asp.net.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    > Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP [.Net]
    > MainSoft Consulting Services
    > www.mainsoft.xx
    > (replace .xx with .fr when replying by e-mail)

+ Reply to Thread