system event that detects a new file - Programmer

This is a discussion on system event that detects a new file - Programmer ; Is there a system event that fires when a new file is created or copied to a folder? I am writing a VisualBasic.Net application. I would like to define an event handler that detects a new file in a specific ...

  1. system event that detects a new file

    Is there a system event that fires when a new file is created or copied to a
    folder?
    I am writing a VisualBasic.Net application.
    I would like to define an event handler that detects a new file in a
    specific folder on the c: drive.
    Currently, I poll to detect the arrival of a new file.
    But I would like to make it event-driven.
    That would eliminate 90% of the unnecessary processing my application is
    currently performing.

  2. Re: system event that detects a new file

    "Bill Bitman" wrote in message
    > Is there a system event that fires when a new file is created or copied to

    > folder?
    > I am writing a VisualBasic.Net application.
    > I would like to define an event handler that detects a new file in a
    > specific folder on the c: drive.
    > Currently, I poll to detect the arrival of a new file.
    > But I would like to make it event-driven.
    > That would eliminate 90% of the unnecessary processing my application is
    > currently performing.

    Look at ReadDirectoryChangesW.

    --
    Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)