'Batch Files' and windows and the internet - Programmer

This is a discussion on 'Batch Files' and windows and the internet - Programmer ; Every evening I spend quite a lot of time downloading text and graph files from a variety of www sites. These I save on disk with names which reflect the date and, of course, which file they are. It would ...

  1. 'Batch Files' and windows and the internet

    Every evening I spend quite a lot of time downloading text and graph files
    from a variety of www sites. These I save on disk with names which reflect
    the date and, of course, which file they are.

    It would be ever so convenient if I could have a batch file, taking the date
    a parameter, to do this automagically. In the days of DOS, I would never
    have dreamt of going though all this labour every day :-)

    I wonder if anyone can advise me how to do this, or at least point me in the
    direction of the least 'difficult' ( and cheap)language to learn by which it
    might be done. I might have thought that someone would have created a
    simulation of DOS batch files interpretation, but I have not located such a
    thing.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Gordon

  2. Re: 'Batch Files' and windows and the internet

    Hello,

    I think Windows Scripting Host would help you. It allows to execute scripts
    written in VBScript and JScript (in addition to DOS scripting language). You
    could schedule your script execution for a specific time-of-day, for
    example.
    To learn more on Windows Scripting Host just do search for WSH from Windows
    help menu (I'm using Win2000).
    If you download files via FTP, you could use DOS scripts. If you want to
    download via browser, you might want to investigate how to use IE ActiveX
    control from VBScript or JScript. There are also some 3rd party scripting
    languages supported by WSH: Perl one of them (but I'm not sure they it's
    free).

    Boris
    "gordon" wrote in message
    > Every evening I spend quite a lot of time downloading text and graph files
    > from a variety of www sites. These I save on disk with names which

    reflect
    > the date and, of course, which file they are.
    >
    > It would be ever so convenient if I could have a batch file, taking the

    date
    > a parameter, to do this automagically. In the days of DOS, I would never
    > have dreamt of going though all this labour every day :-)
    >
    > I wonder if anyone can advise me how to do this, or at least point me in

    the
    > direction of the least 'difficult' ( and cheap)language to learn by which

    it
    > might be done. I might have thought that someone would have created a
    > simulation of DOS batch files interpretation, but I have not located such

    > thing.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Gordon