application window image capture? - Programmer

This is a discussion on application window image capture? - Programmer ; I would like to capture a window image of a running program every time the window changes. Is it possible to write a (seperate) program to do this in Windows? If so, would anyone be able to give me some ...

  1. application window image capture?

    I would like to capture a window image of a running program every time
    the window changes. Is it possible to write a (seperate) program to do
    this in Windows? If so, would anyone be able to give me some pointers,
    or, better yet, example code to do this?

    Thanks,
    Carl

  2. Re: application window image capture?

    "Carl Cotner" wrote in message
    news:3ed479da.0310300248.f760fa5@posting.google.co m...
    > I would like to capture a window image of a running program every time
    > the window changes. Is it possible to write a (seperate) program to do
    > this in Windows? If so, would anyone be able to give me some pointers,
    > or, better yet, example code to do this?

    The only good solution to this is to write a mirror display driver, which
    will receive all drawing commands. The Windows DDK has an example of this.

    If you just want to be informed of one program's output, you could hook the
    relevant GDI functions for that program. See
    http://research.microsoft.com/sn/detours/ for a library which will let you
    do this.

    --
    Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
    http://www.themobius.co.uk/

  3. Re: application window image capture?

    "Tim Robinson" wrote in message news:...
    > "Carl Cotner" wrote in message
    > news:3ed479da.0310300248.f760fa5@posting.google.co m...
    > > I would like to capture a window image of a running program every time
    > > the window changes. Is it possible to write a (seperate) program to do
    > > this in Windows? If so, would anyone be able to give me some pointers,
    > > or, better yet, example code to do this?

    > The only good solution to this is to write a mirror display driver, which
    > will receive all drawing commands. The Windows DDK has an example of this.
    >
    > If you just want to be informed of one program's output, you could hook the
    > relevant GDI functions for that program. See
    > http://research.microsoft.com/sn/detours/ for a library which will let you
    > do this.

    Thanks for the references, Tim. They have exactly the information I need.

    Carl

+ Reply to Thread