filesystem / network share - Programmer

This is a discussion on filesystem / network share - Programmer ; Hello, where I can get detailed information about how WindowsNT serves its shares to client computers? Btw., is it possible to code a service that behaves similar to a shared directory - seen from outside? tnx & regards Mark...

  1. filesystem / network share

    Hello,

    where I can get detailed information about how WindowsNT serves its shares
    to client computers?

    Btw., is it possible to code a service that behaves similar to a shared
    directory - seen from outside?

    tnx & regards
    Mark

  2. Re: filesystem / network share

    There's a network protocol called CIFS (formerly SMB). That protocol
    implements client/server interfacing when serving files across LAN (or even
    Internet) by Windows.
    Just search google for CIFS...

    Boris

    "Scollop" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > where I can get detailed information about how WindowsNT serves its shares
    > to client computers?
    >
    > Btw., is it possible to code a service that behaves similar to a shared
    > directory - seen from outside?
    >
    > tnx & regards
    > Mark

  3. Re: filesystem / network share

    Actually, if you want your software to work across Internet (and be
    firewall-friendly) you might want to look at WebDAV (I believe it's W3C
    standard - www.w3c.org ). In Windows (Win2000 and above) clients WebDAV
    servers can be accessed via Web Folders (by end user). This allows you to
    present directories on Web servers as network folders on LAN (to end user).
    WebDAV is supported by most Web servers (IIS, Apache, etc.). You could check
    help in Win2000 or XP: search for "web folder".

    Boris
    "Scollop" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > where I can get detailed information about how WindowsNT serves its shares
    > to client computers?
    >
    > Btw., is it possible to code a service that behaves similar to a shared
    > directory - seen from outside?
    >
    > tnx & regards
    > Mark

+ Reply to Thread