Q: read/write on PCI bus from C/C++ - Programmer

This is a discussion on Q: read/write on PCI bus from C/C++ - Programmer ; Hi all, On a standard PC, using VC++ 6.0, how do I read/write on the PCI bus ? What data transfer rate can I expect ? Can someone point me to some documentation ? TIA --- http://5.d.free.fr/dow.htm...

  1. Q: read/write on PCI bus from C/C++

    Hi all,

    On a standard PC, using VC++ 6.0,
    how do I read/write on the PCI bus ?
    What data transfer rate can I expect ?
    Can someone point me to some documentation ?

    TIA
    ---
    http://5.d.free.fr/dow.htm

  2. Re: Q: read/write on PCI bus from C/C++

    JCR wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > On a standard PC, using VC++ 6.0,
    > how do I read/write on the PCI bus ?
    > What data transfer rate can I expect ?
    > Can someone point me to some documentation ?
    >
    > TIA
    > ---
    > http://5.d.free.fr/dow.htm

    You can't. The Operating System limits your program to using virtual
    addresses. You can't access physical addresses from a (modern) Windows
    application.

    Physical I/O is done by device drivers. To write a device driver you
    need a different set of documentation, tools and header files called the
    DDK. This involves quite a large learning curve. A good first step
    would be to read the book "Programming the Microsoft Windows Driver
    Model" by Walter Oney.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  3. Re: Yesterday ... read/write on PCI bus from C/C++

    "JCR" <5.d@free.fr> wrote in message
    news:7793e539.0310220151.827e4cd@posting.google.co m...
    > uh! ... anyway, what is the price for the DDK ?

    Shipping was $25 last time I looked. You used to be able to download it for
    free, but they started including the full Visual C++ compiler and linker, so
    now you have to pay at least a nominal fee for it (which they call
    shipping).

    --
    Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
    http://www.themobius.co.uk/