Where to Start? - Programmer

This is a discussion on Where to Start? - Programmer ; I used to program in C using Borland C++ Builder v4.52 but havent done anything for a while. I want to buy a new compiler but dont know which. I would like to be able to compile all my old ...

  1. Where to Start?

    I used to program in C using Borland C++ Builder v4.52 but havent done
    anything for a while.

    I want to buy a new compiler but dont know which.

    I would like to be able to compile all my old code but dont mind the effort
    to port over if required.

    My main venture is to create a serial port listener that can be run from
    both DOS and a Windows Platform. Currently im running Windows 2000 but I
    also have a laptop running XP. I would like to be able to develop the
    software on both systems.

    Im confused by all the .NET jargon and dont understand what it means.

    Should I go for Borland C Builder 6 or Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

    Your help would be most appreciated

    Thanks

    Steve

  2. Re: Where to Start?

    Steve wrote:
    > I used to program in C using Borland C++ Builder v4.52 but havent done
    > anything for a while.
    >
    > I want to buy a new compiler but dont know which.
    >
    > I would like to be able to compile all my old code but dont mind the effort
    > to port over if required.
    >
    > My main venture is to create a serial port listener that can be run from
    > both DOS and a Windows Platform. Currently im running Windows 2000 but I
    > also have a laptop running XP. I would like to be able to develop the
    > software on both systems.
    >
    > Im confused by all the .NET jargon and dont understand what it means.
    >
    > Should I go for Borland C Builder 6 or Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
    >
    > Your help would be most appreciated
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steve

    Nowadays there is a big difference between "DOS" programs and "console"
    programs. DOS programs use a 16-bit subset of the CPU and need a 16-bit
    compiler. Console programs, running under Windows, use the same command
    line interface as a DOS program but they are 32-bit programs and have
    access to the entire Windows API and address space. So first you have
    to decide if you really need a DOS version, because to get that you need
    a different compiler. A 16-bit compiler comes with the Borland.
    Microsoft will send you the old 16-bit compiler on request if the buy
    the current Visual C. If you would be happy with a 32-bit console
    program then you can stick with 32-bits and use the same code in both
    console and windowed versions.

    The Borland and the Microsoft will both run on Win2000 and WinXP, and
    even older versions. If you are going to program in C then .NET means
    nothing. It's a library that you don't have to use. I don't have
    experience with the Borland so can't compare them, but the Microsoft is
    far and away more popular and more in demand by employers.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

+ Reply to Thread