Altering dialup and outlook settings from a program - Programmer

This is a discussion on Altering dialup and outlook settings from a program - Programmer ; I need to develop a program for altering dialup and email settings automatically. I have tried finding information in google and msdn but I can't seem to feed it the right food to get my answer. I will probably be ...

  1. Altering dialup and outlook settings from a program

    I need to develop a program for altering dialup and email settings
    automatically. I have tried finding information in google and msdn but
    I can't seem to feed it the right food to get my answer. I will
    probably be working in C or C++, I just need to know what topic to look
    for in msdn or something that will direct me to the API and structure
    documentation for what I need.

    Thank you,
    Noah Roberts

  2. Re: Altering dialup and outlook settings from a program

    Noah Roberts wrote:

    > I need to develop a program for altering dialup and email settings
    > automatically. I have tried finding information in google and msdn but
    > I can't seem to feed it the right food to get my answer. I will
    > probably be working in C or C++, I just need to know what topic to look
    > for in msdn or something that will direct me to the API and structure
    > documentation for what I need.

    I found the information I needed to alter the dialup settings. Now what
    I need is how to set up outlook express to authenticate during smtp
    transactions. If I am not mistaken there is an API somewhere that
    allows you to access profile settings in IE and OE but I have no clue
    what they are.

    thank you,
    NR

  3. Re: (resolved)

    Noah Roberts wrote:
    > Noah Roberts wrote:
    >
    >> I need to develop a program for altering dialup and email settings
    >> automatically. I have tried finding information in google and msdn
    >> but I can't seem to feed it the right food to get my answer. I will
    >> probably be working in C or C++, I just need to know what topic to
    >> look for in msdn or something that will direct me to the API and
    >> structure documentation for what I need.

    > I found the information I needed to alter the dialup settings. Now what
    > I need is how to set up outlook express to authenticate during smtp
    > transactions. If I am not mistaken there is an API somewhere that
    > allows you to access profile settings in IE and OE but I have no clue
    > what they are.
    >
    > thank you,
    > NR

    I found the answer to my problem. I am assuming that nobody helped
    because nobody knew the answer so here it is:

    dialup settings can be manipulated through RASENTRY and related
    structures/function calls.

    outlook express keeps its account settings in the registry under
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\some_number

    In particular the SMTP auth setting appears to be "SMTP Use Sicily" (why
    sicily I have no idea) and should be set to 2 for on, 0 for off.

    Have a nice day,
    NR

+ Reply to Thread