Screensaver - Keyboard/Mouse locked by system ? - Programmer

This is a discussion on Screensaver - Keyboard/Mouse locked by system ? - Programmer ; Hi all ! Sorry für the Xpost, but I am completely unsure which group is the right one... I have programmed a screensaver using the .net Framework. As soon as the screensaver is invoked by the system, every input done ...

  1. Screensaver - Keyboard/Mouse locked by system ?

    Hi all !

    Sorry für the Xpost, but I am completely unsure which group is the right one...

    I have programmed a screensaver using the .net Framework.

    As soon as the screensaver is invoked by the system, every input done by
    mouse or keyboard is not seen by the application. Do you know if all
    input is locked by the system as soon as screensaver mode is started?

    If yes, is there a chance to get the keystrokes while the screensaver is active?

    Thanks in advance,
    Martin,
    GERMANY

  2. Re: Screensaver - Keyboard/Mouse locked by system ?

    Martin Meier (MMC) wrote:
    >I have programmed a screensaver using the .net Framework.
    >As soon as the screensaver is invoked by the system, every input done by
    >mouse or keyboard is not seen by the application. Do you know if all
    >input is locked by the system as soon as screensaver mode is started?
    >If yes, is there a chance to get the keystrokes while the screensaver is active?

    In a normal win32 screensaver, a screensaver is just a normal
    application which creates a full-screen topmost window. (and it calls
    SystemParametersInfo(SPI_SCREENSAVERRUNNING) when it starts and ends).

    Because it's just a normal window in a normal application, it does
    indeed receive all mouse/keyboard input normally.

    NT/Win2k/XP have the additional feature than any mouse/keyboard input
    will trigger an additional WM_CLOSE message.

    If your .net screensaver isn't getting the normal input, then this
    must be down to some peculiarity about how .net works or about how
    you've implemented your saver within .net.

    I have written a web page with lots of technical details on how to
    write screensavers:
    http://www.wischik.com/scr/howtoscr.html

    --
    Lucian

  3. Re: Screensaver - Keyboard/Mouse locked by system ?

    "Lucian Wischik" wrote in message
    > In a normal win32 screensaver, a screensaver is just a normal
    > application which creates a full-screen topmost window. (and it calls
    > SystemParametersInfo(SPI_SCREENSAVERRUNNING) when it starts and ends).
    >
    > Because it's just a normal window in a normal application, it does
    > indeed receive all mouse/keyboard input normally.
    >
    > NT/Win2k/XP have the additional feature than any mouse/keyboard input
    > will trigger an additional WM_CLOSE message.

    Note also that NT/Win2k/XP put the screen saver on a separate desktop to the
    one the user normally uses, so any user input recieved while the screen
    saver is active won't be seen by interactive applications. Each desktop has
    its own set of hooks, too, so hooks won't be called when the screen saver is
    running.

    --
    Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
    http://www.themobius.co.uk/