How to Create an Uninstall? - Programmer

This is a discussion on How to Create an Uninstall? - Programmer ; Hi, How can I get Windows to recognize an installed app so the user can uninstall it through the Control Panel? I'm not using MSIE, InstallShield, or any other off the shelf product, but a home-brewed installation program written in ...

  1. How to Create an Uninstall?

    Hi,

    How can I get Windows to recognize an installed app so the user can
    uninstall it through the Control Panel? I'm not using MSIE,
    InstallShield, or any other off the shelf product, but a home-brewed
    installation program written in VC++ 6.0.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: How to Create an Uninstall?

    xmp333@yahoo.com wrote:

    > How can I get Windows to recognize an installed app so the user can
    > uninstall it through the Control Panel?

    Rather that re-inventing the wheel, I suggest taking a look at
    the Inno Setup program:

    http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.htm

    Not only is it a fantastic installer it is also free of charge

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author of: Zeus for Windows, Win32 (Brief, Emacs, etc) FTP Text Editor
    "The C/C++, Java, HTML, FTP, Python, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
    Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com

  3. Re: How to Create an Uninstall?

    > > How can I get Windows to recognize an installed app so the user can
    > > uninstall it through the Control Panel?

    > Rather that re-inventing the wheel, I suggest taking a look at
    > the Inno Setup program:
    >
    > http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.htm
    >
    > Not only is it a fantastic installer it is also free of charge

    I'll keep that in mind, however the installation program for this
    product has already been written, and it is highly customized.
    Furthermore, we have had problems with installation utilities in
    general, hence the rewrite. Then, if you add the time it would take
    to learn how to use the products and implement some of the advanced
    features (if possible), using this product is in many ways
    re-inventing the wheel.

    For the time being, all that is needed is a document that details how
    to get Windows to recognize a particular application's uninstallation
    capabilities so the user can uninstall from the control panel.

    > Jussi Jumppanen
    > Author of: Zeus for Windows, Win32 (Brief, Emacs, etc) FTP Text Editor
    > "The C/C++, Java, HTML, FTP, Python, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
    > Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com

    Thanks.

  4. Re: How to Create an Uninstall?

    xmp333@yahoo.com wrote:

    > For the time being, all that is needed is a document that details how
    > to get Windows to recognize a particular application's uninstallation
    > capabilities so the user can uninstall from the control panel.

    Have a look at this branch in the registry using regedit:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author of: Zeus for Windows, Win32 (Brief, Emacs, etc) FTP Text Editor
    "The C/C++, Java, HTML, FTP, Python, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
    Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com

  5. Re: How to Create an Uninstall?

    On 6 Oct 2003 12:41:57 -0700, xmp333@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >

    >How can I get Windows to recognize an installed app so the user can
    >uninstall it through the Control Panel? I'm not using MSIE,
    >InstallShield, or any other off the shelf product, but a home-brewed
    >installation program written in VC++ 6.0.

    I suggest checking a thread called "Install/Uninstall" in
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 around 30 Sep 2003.

    >Thanks.

    Robert E. Zaret
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  6. Re: How to Create an Uninstall?

    "Jussi Jumppanen" wrote in message
    > xmp333@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > For the time being, all that is needed is a document that details how
    > > to get Windows to recognize a particular application's uninstallation
    > > capabilities so the user can uninstall from the control panel.

    > Have a look at this branch in the registry using regedit:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall
    >
    > Jussi Jumppanen
    > Author of: Zeus for Windows, Win32 (Brief, Emacs, etc) FTP Text Editor
    > "The C/C++, Java, HTML, FTP, Python, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
    > Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com

    This key is used for 'per machine' installs. But how about 'per user'
    installs? Don't they use

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Uninstall key

    ?

    Boris

+ Reply to Thread