HELP: Behaviour of CreateFile with serial ports - Programmer

This is a discussion on HELP: Behaviour of CreateFile with serial ports - Programmer ; I would be happy to enunciate my problem fully, but it's rather complex, involving interactions between legacy DOS programs and modern W32 API programs that both access serial ports. The information I'm seeking is what CreateFile does in opening a ...

  1. HELP: Behaviour of CreateFile with serial ports

    I would be happy to enunciate my problem fully, but it's rather complex,
    involving interactions between legacy DOS programs and modern W32 API
    programs that both access serial ports. The information I'm seeking is what
    CreateFile does in opening a serial port, in some detail. I've been through
    MSDN from end to end, there's nothing there to the depth that I need. Can
    anyone suggest a suitable reference? TIA

  2. Re: HELP: Behaviour of CreateFile with serial ports

    bruce varley wrote:

    > I would be happy to enunciate my problem fully, but it's rather complex,
    > involving interactions between legacy DOS programs and modern W32 API
    > programs that both access serial ports. The information I'm seeking is what
    > CreateFile does in opening a serial port, in some detail. I've been through
    > MSDN from end to end, there's nothing there to the depth that I need. Can
    > anyone suggest a suitable reference? TIA

    CreateFile calls the serial device driver. Sample code for the serial
    device driver is available in the DDK. The DDK is on a CD in the MSDN
    subscription service, and (I think) can be ordered separately from MS
    for just the postage cost.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  3. Re: HELP: Behaviour of CreateFile with serial ports

    "bruce varley" wrote in message news:<3f77a840$1@quokka.wn.com.au>...
    > I would be happy to enunciate my problem fully, but it's rather complex,
    > involving interactions between legacy DOS programs and modern W32 API
    > programs that both access serial ports. The information I'm seeking is what
    > CreateFile does in opening a serial port, in some detail. I've been through
    > MSDN from end to end, there's nothing there to the depth that I need. Can
    > anyone suggest a suitable reference? TIA

    You can find TclWinOpenSerialChannel()
    here at:

    http://www.slink-software.com/W/SrcD....4.4.sdoc/N_54

    It has some code related to multi-thread programmer. But
    SetupComm, PurgeComm, etc Win32 API maybe what you needed.

    Tcl_ChannelType - tclWinSock.c:273
    serialChannelType - tclWinSerial.c:198
    TclWinOpenSerialChannel - tclWinSerial.c:1416
    SetupComm - tclWinSerial.c:1452
    PurgeComm - tclWinSerial.c:596
    ClearCommError - tclWinSerial.c:1387

+ Reply to Thread