Apologies if this not the right forum for this topic.

I am wondering what everyone here thinks about MS being defeated in the
activeX case.

It seems to me like anyone can go out and patent any bit of software that
is unique and call that a novel invention, and make everyone else license
that invention. Surely software is already protected by copyright?

If say Adobe patented image manipulation using 'novel' software, then
under the current patent laws no one else can write image manipulation
software?

Seems to me like small time programmers are going to be right royally
screwed in the future as companies with deep pockets will patent every
thing.

Cheers
Robert