INstall corrupts win95 system files ... Help!!! - Programmer

This is a discussion on INstall corrupts win95 system files ... Help!!! - Programmer ; Just downloaded and installed GRE - AT Verbal Warfare on Win95. During the install process it said systems files were out of date and I gave it permission to update them. Now Norton Ainti-Virus, my AT&T Dialer, Netscape, Quicken and ...

  1. INstall corrupts win95 system files ... Help!!!

    Just downloaded and installed GRE - AT Verbal Warfare on Win95.
    During the install process it said systems files were out of date and I
    gave it permission to update them. Now Norton Ainti-Virus, my AT&T
    Dialer, Netscape, Quicken and other programs are not working. The most
    common message I get is: "MSVCRT.DLL file linked to missing export
    NTDLL.DLL:RtlGetNTVersionNumbers"

    How can I correct this? I do not see any uninstall option...

    Many thanks for your help.

    Cheers.

  2. Re: INstall corrupts win95 system files ... Help!!!

    In message <3F3552EC.9030000@att.net> of Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:15:57 in
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc, Crystal-Gaye Young gaye@att.net> writes
    > Just downloaded and installed GRE - AT Verbal Warfare on Win95.
    >During the install process it said systems files were out of date and I
    >gave it permission to update them. Now Norton Ainti-Virus, my AT&T
    >Dialer, Netscape, Quicken and other programs are not working. The most
    >common message I get is: "MSVCRT.DLL file linked to missing export
    >NTDLL.DLL:RtlGetNTVersionNumbers"
    >
    >How can I correct this? I do not see any uninstall option...

    I would be surprised to see this problem cured by uninstallation.

    Why do you think your problem appropriate here?
    Is the package supposed to work with Win95?
    Liaise with the supplier in any case.
    Did it write a logfile recording what it did?
    I don't suppose you have a backup.
    A quick check found the NTDLL.DLL did not have RtlGetNTVersionNumbers on
    my W95 system.
    You may have trashed your system permanently. You could try NTDLL.DLL
    and MSVCRT.DLL from a a similar machine. You can try reinstalling
    Windows and the offending packages. I think you probably have turned
    your machine into a paperweight. I would start with W98SE rather than
    W95.
    --
    Walter Briscoe

+ Reply to Thread