How to strip binary data and isolate text in files? - Programmer

This is a discussion on How to strip binary data and isolate text in files? - Programmer ; I'm trying to remove all the binary data from some old Micrografx Windows Draw 4.0 (*.drw) files and leave only the plain text. That app won't run properly in Windows XP and I sometimes need to do mass searches for ...

  1. How to strip binary data and isolate text in files?

    I'm trying to remove all the binary data from some old Micrografx
    Windows Draw 4.0 (*.drw) files and leave only the plain text. That app
    won't run properly in Windows XP and I sometimes need to do mass
    searches for text in those old files.

    Searching their folder as-is gives spotty results because the binary
    data must be blocking something. When I open them individually in
    Notepad I CAN see all the text but it's too time consuming to search
    file-by-file in 100+ files.

    Is there a downloadable app that will batch-process many files and
    strip out everything but the readable text, then save them? I haven't
    had any luck finding one. Most of these *.drw files are around 2kb if
    that matters.

    JT

  2. Re: How to strip binary data and isolate text in files?

    On 31 Jul 2003 21:13:22 -0700, J. Tyler wrote:

    > I'm trying to remove all the binary data from some old Micrografx
    > Windows Draw 4.0 (*.drw) files and leave only the plain text. That app
    > won't run properly in Windows XP and I sometimes need to do mass
    > searches for text in those old files.
    >
    > Searching their folder as-is gives spotty results because the binary
    > data must be blocking something. When I open them individually in
    > Notepad I CAN see all the text but it's too time consuming to search
    > file-by-file in 100+ files.
    >
    > Is there a downloadable app that will batch-process many files and
    > strip out everything but the readable text, then save them? I haven't
    > had any luck finding one. Most of these *.drw files are around 2kb if
    > that matters.
    >
    > JT

    There is GNU binutils http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/
    In this, there is strings which lists printable strings for file.
    This package surely works with cygwin on windows. I am not sure whether it
    is available natively for windows too.
    cygwin installation is at http://www.cygwin.com
    Sanjay

  3. Re: How to strip binary data and isolate text in files?

    jctyler_67@yahoo.com (J. Tyler) wrote in message news:...
    > I'm trying to remove all the binary data from some old Micrografx
    > Windows Draw 4.0 (*.drw) files and leave only the plain text. That app
    > won't run properly in Windows XP and I sometimes need to do mass
    > searches for text in those old files.
    >
    > Searching their folder as-is gives spotty results because the binary
    > data must be blocking something. When I open them individually in
    > Notepad I CAN see all the text but it's too time consuming to search
    > file-by-file in 100+ files.
    >
    > Is there a downloadable app that will batch-process many files and
    > strip out everything but the readable text, then save them? I haven't
    > had any luck finding one. Most of these *.drw files are around 2kb if
    > that matters.
    >
    > JT

    Hi,
    Well, I don't have anything for batch processing, but for extracting
    text from files, you can use Peek text extraction tool. You can get
    it at http://pad.olsonnetwork.com/downloads/

    Hope this helps!

    Clint Olson
    co-n-co at mochamail dot com

  4. Re: How to strip binary data and isolate text in files?

    clintposts@myrealbox.com (Clint Olson) wrote in message news:...

    > jctyler_67@yahoo.com (J. Tyler) wrote in message news:...

    > > I'm trying to remove all the binary data from some old Micrografx
    > > Windows Draw 4.0 (*.drw) files and leave only the plain text. That app
    > > won't run properly in Windows XP and I sometimes need to do mass
    > > searches for text in those old files.
    > >
    > > Searching their folder as-is gives spotty results because the binary
    > > data must be blocking something. When I open them individually in
    > > Notepad I CAN see all the text but it's too time consuming to search
    > > file-by-file in 100+ files.
    > >
    > > Is there a downloadable app that will batch-process many files and
    > > strip out everything but the readable text, then save them? I haven't
    > > had any luck finding one. Most of these *.drw files are around 2kb if
    > > that matters.
    > >
    > > JT

    > Hi,
    > Well, I don't have anything for batch processing, but for extracting
    > text from files, you can use Peek text extraction tool. You can get
    > it at http://pad.olsonnetwork.com/downloads/

    FWIW, using a combination of "Simple File Joiner"
    (www.peretek.com/sfj.php) and the above app ("Peek 1.1") I was able to
    merge all those files into one, insert concatenation dividers and
    extract the plain text. So I now have one large file with all the
    binary junk removed.

    JT

  5. Re: How to strip binary data and isolate text in files?

    jctyler_67@yahoo.com (J. Tyler) wrote in message news:...
    > clintposts@myrealbox.com (Clint Olson) wrote in message news:...
    >
    > > jctyler_67@yahoo.com (J. Tyler) wrote in message news:...

    > > > I'm trying to remove all the binary data from some old Micrografx
    > > > Windows Draw 4.0 (*.drw) files and leave only the plain text. That app
    > > > won't run properly in Windows XP and I sometimes need to do mass
    > > > searches for text in those old files.
    > > >
    > > > Searching their folder as-is gives spotty results because the binary
    > > > data must be blocking something. When I open them individually in
    > > > Notepad I CAN see all the text but it's too time consuming to search
    > > > file-by-file in 100+ files.
    > > >
    > > > Is there a downloadable app that will batch-process many files and
    > > > strip out everything but the readable text, then save them? I haven't
    > > > had any luck finding one. Most of these *.drw files are around 2kb if
    > > > that matters.
    > > >
    > > > JT

    > > Hi,
    > > Well, I don't have anything for batch processing, but for extracting
    > > text from files, you can use Peek text extraction tool. You can get
    > > it at http://pad.olsonnetwork.com/downloads/

    > FWIW, using a combination of "Simple File Joiner"
    > (www.peretek.com/sfj.php) and the above app ("Peek 1.1") I was able to
    > merge all those files into one, insert concatenation dividers and
    > extract the plain text. So I now have one large file with all the
    > binary junk removed.
    >
    > JT

    Great! I'm glad it worked out for you.

    Clint