Running an app at boot time: please help! - Programmer

This is a discussion on Running an app at boot time: please help! - Programmer ; I need to run a windows program I just made when Windows ME starts. To be more specific, my program is windows-based and makes some registry changes according the user's input. I would like the program to start before the ...

  1. Running an app at boot time: please help!

    I need to run a windows program I just made when Windows ME starts.
    To be more specific, my program is windows-based and makes some
    registry changes according the user's input. I would like the program
    to start before the registry gets loaded so the changed values take
    into effect (something like the Hardware Profile Manager that comes
    with WinMe).
    win.ini and others are out of the question because they launch my
    program way after the registry gets loaded.
    Is it possble? or would I need to make a console version of my
    program?
    I suspect it is possible because the windows Hardware Profile Manager
    gets loaded before everything else takes place and there must be a
    hack for doing just like that.

    Any suggestions?

    Thank you for your input.

    MM

  2. Re: Running an app at boot time: please help!

    The registry gets looked at right at the start of the boot process, so you'd
    be looking at writing a 16-bit real mode app (with a DOS compiler, but
    remember that DOS isn't available at this point in the boot) and hook into
    the boot sequence there.

    If the part of the registry you're modifying doesn't affect the early boot
    process, you could write a DOS app and have it loaded via CONFIG.SYS or
    AUTOEXEC.BAT.

    --
    Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
    http://www.themobius.co.uk/

    "Lane V." wrote in message
    news:6077d30e.0307291029.4e0d0abc@posting.google.c om...
    > I need to run a windows program I just made when Windows ME starts.
    > To be more specific, my program is windows-based and makes some
    > registry changes according the user's input. I would like the program
    > to start before the registry gets loaded so the changed values take
    > into effect (something like the Hardware Profile Manager that comes
    > with WinMe).
    > win.ini and others are out of the question because they launch my
    > program way after the registry gets loaded.
    > Is it possble? or would I need to make a console version of my
    > program?
    > I suspect it is possible because the windows Hardware Profile Manager
    > gets loaded before everything else takes place and there must be a
    > hack for doing just like that.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you for your input.
    >
    > MM