What driver model for serial over TCP/IP? - Programmer

This is a discussion on What driver model for serial over TCP/IP? - Programmer ; What model driver/service combo are people using to build virtual COM ports that talk to the real serial ports over TCP/IP? Do you have a single driver that presents a COM port to the system and has a built-in TDI ...

  1. What driver model for serial over TCP/IP?

    What model driver/service combo are people using to build virtual COM
    ports that talk to the real serial ports over TCP/IP? Do you have a
    single driver that presents a COM port to the system and has a built-in
    TDI client to do the TCP/IP? Or does the driver just virtualize the COM
    port and allow a running service to handle the TCP/IP? Or is there another
    possible scenario I'm not thinking of??

    Patrick
    Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com
    ===== Why do I keep getting "one time mailings" over and over again?!? =====

  2. Re: What driver model for serial over TCP/IP?

    Patrick,

    We have built two products that virtualize serial (and LAN) ports. Our DNE
    toolkit is an NDIS shim that also includes virtual LAN and WAN adapters.
    The LAN adapter can spoof DHCP, handle ARPs, etc. and the WAN adapter looks
    like a serial port. When these are installed, they appear to the stack to
    be real devices. Depending on the OS limitations you can create as many of
    these as you like dynamically. This allows you to spoof IP addresses,
    create tunnels, do multihoning, etc and the nice thing is that the stack and
    applications think they see real adapters.

    The other approach is done with our WAN Tunneling toolkit. In that one, we
    created miniport drivers that reside below NDISWAN and created TAPI
    interfaces to manage them. Our customers have used this approach to
    implement things like PPPoE, MobileIP, and we've delivered L2TP.

    Note that you don't need TDI in either case. Perhaps if you told me more
    about what you're trying to do I could better tailor a response.

    Steve

    Steve Jackowski
    President/CEO
    Deterministic Networks, Inc.
    1200 Pacific Avenue, Ste 280
    Santa Cruz, Ca 95060

    Office: (831) 421-0388 x18
    Home office: (831) 426-4001 (also http://www.HedgehogBooks.com)
    Mobile: (408) 813-6294
    Fax: (831) 421-0394
    www.DeterministicNetworks.com
    "The Traffic Engineering Company"

    =========
    > Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com
    > Klos Technologies, Inc. Web: http://www.klos.com/
    > ===== Why do I keep getting "one time mailings" over and over again?!?

    =====

  3. Re: What driver model for serial over TCP/IP?

    In article ,
    Steve Jackowski wrote:
    > wrote in message news:bfhdj2$8lp$1@pyrite.mv.net...
    >> What model driver/service combo are people using to build virtual COM
    >> ports that talk to the real serial ports over TCP/IP? Do you have a
    >> single driver that presents a COM port to the system and has a built-in
    >> TDI client to do the TCP/IP? Or does the driver just virtualize the COM
    >> port and allow a running service to handle the TCP/IP? Or is there
    >> another possible scenario I'm not thinking of??

    >We have built two products that virtualize serial (and LAN) ports. Our DNE
    >toolkit is an NDIS shim that also includes virtual LAN and WAN adapters.
    >The LAN adapter can spoof DHCP, handle ARPs, etc. and the WAN adapter looks
    >like a serial port. When these are installed, they appear to the stack to
    >be real devices. Depending on the OS limitations you can create as many of
    >these as you like dynamically. This allows you to spoof IP addresses,
    >create tunnels, do multihoning, etc and the nice thing is that the stack and
    >applications think they see real adapters.
    >
    >The other approach is done with our WAN Tunneling toolkit. In that one, we
    >created miniport drivers that reside below NDISWAN and created TAPI
    >interfaces to manage them. Our customers have used this approach to
    >implement things like PPPoE, MobileIP, and we've delivered L2TP.

    Thanks Steve, but neither of these approaches have anything to do with
    virtualizing a COM port (at least not as described in my original posting).

    >Perhaps if you told me more about what you're trying to do I could
    >better tailor a response.

    As I said in the original posting, I need to create a driver that presents
    a COM port to the system so any application that knows how to use a device
    on a serial port will be able to do so via my driver's COM port. The real
    device will be connected to a COM port at the other end of a TCP/IP connection
    (using RFC 2217 among other things).

    Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com
    ===== Why do I keep getting "one time mailings" over and over again?!? =====

  4. Re: What driver model for serial over TCP/IP?

    Patrick,

    A virtual root-enumerated or your own bus driver enumerated COM port
    driver with an embedded TDI client seems to be the most sensible solution
    to me. I would not recommend having a supporting user mode sockets
    client service. You did not tell whether you just needed to run on
    NT based Windows only or the 9x was also a target. I've had numerous
    issues when the Win9x VCOMM had to interact with user mode apps doing
    networking (infamous Win16 mutex etc.) and had to switch eventually
    to the driver(s) only solutions. Worked well for me with the separate
    VxD and WDM driver infrastructure, but shared functional code.
    If you're new to TDI, the PCAUSA NT/2k sample code is a good intro,
    well worth the $299 ($499 with support) or something of that sort cost.

    Thanks,

    Ilya Faenson
    ifaenson@hotmail.com

    patrick@klos.com wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > Steve Jackowski wrote:
    > > wrote in message news:bfhdj2$8lp$1@pyrite.mv.net...
    > >> What model driver/service combo are people using to build virtual COM
    > >> ports that talk to the real serial ports over TCP/IP? Do you have a
    > >> single driver that presents a COM port to the system and has a built-in
    > >> TDI client to do the TCP/IP? Or does the driver just virtualize the COM
    > >> port and allow a running service to handle the TCP/IP? Or is there
    > >> another possible scenario I'm not thinking of??

    > >We have built two products that virtualize serial (and LAN) ports. Our DNE
    > >toolkit is an NDIS shim that also includes virtual LAN and WAN adapters.
    > >The LAN adapter can spoof DHCP, handle ARPs, etc. and the WAN adapter looks
    > >like a serial port. When these are installed, they appear to the stack to
    > >be real devices. Depending on the OS limitations you can create as many of
    > >these as you like dynamically. This allows you to spoof IP addresses,
    > >create tunnels, do multihoning, etc and the nice thing is that the stack and
    > >applications think they see real adapters.
    > >
    > >The other approach is done with our WAN Tunneling toolkit. In that one, we
    > >created miniport drivers that reside below NDISWAN and created TAPI
    > >interfaces to manage them. Our customers have used this approach to
    > >implement things like PPPoE, MobileIP, and we've delivered L2TP.

    > Thanks Steve, but neither of these approaches have anything to do with
    > virtualizing a COM port (at least not as described in my original posting).
    >
    > >Perhaps if you told me more about what you're trying to do I could
    > >better tailor a response.

    > As I said in the original posting, I need to create a driver that presents
    > a COM port to the system so any application that knows how to use a device
    > on a serial port will be able to do so via my driver's COM port. The real
    > device will be connected to a COM port at the other end of a TCP/IP connection
    > (using RFC 2217 among other things).
    >
    > ========= For LAN/WAN Protocol Analysis, check out PacketView Pro! =========
    > Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com
    > Klos Technologies, Inc. Web: http://www.klos.com/