Dynamically changing MTU of an adapter - Programmer

This is a discussion on Dynamically changing MTU of an adapter - Programmer ; Hi, Is there a way of dynamically changing MTU of an adapter on the fly? Any OID value that can be sent to NDIS(TDI/ anything else ) that can achieve this ? I am developing an application where this feature ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Dynamically changing MTU of an adapter

  1. Dynamically changing MTU of an adapter

    Hi,

    Is there a way of dynamically changing MTU of an adapter on the fly?
    Any OID value that can be sent to NDIS(TDI/ anything else ) that can
    achieve this ?

    I am developing an application where this feature is required and
    changing MTU through registry is well, not a valid solution. If need
    be then we can implement any intermediate layer driver as well, if
    that can achieve this objective

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ranjan

  2. Re: Dynamically changing MTU of an adapter

    On Sep 11, 7:13*pm, Rnjn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a way of dynamically changing MTU of an adapter on the fly?
    > Any OID value that can be sent to NDIS(TDI/ anything else ) that can
    > achieve this ?
    >
    > I am developing an application where this feature is required and
    > changing MTU through registry is well, not a valid solution. *If need
    > be then we can implement any intermediate layer driver as well, if
    > that can achieve this objective
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards,
    > Ranjan


    Check Oidscope.exe utility and http://www.pcausa.com

    and check OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE and OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_TOTAL_SIZE.

    anand

  3. Re: Dynamically changing MTU of an adapter

    No. In NDIS 5.x, the MTU is statically defined when the
    OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE is queried on the miniport. For NDIS 6.x, the
    miniport defines the MTU through its
    NDIS_MINIPORT_ADAPTER_GENERAL_ATTRIBUTES data registered through
    NdisMSetMiniportAttributes(). Once set, there is no way to dynamically
    change it. Also, keep in mind that the set of the MTU occurs either shortly
    after (NDIS 5.x) or during miniport initialization.

    You will have to rely on setting this in the registry and then restarting
    (i.e., disable/enable) the miniport. An IM driver won't help here.

    "Rnjn" wrote in message
    news:b05629f7-0d11-4989-a7c3-d76e4f47934f@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a way of dynamically changing MTU of an adapter on the fly?
    > Any OID value that can be sent to NDIS(TDI/ anything else ) that can
    > achieve this ?
    >
    > I am developing an application where this feature is required and
    > changing MTU through registry is well, not a valid solution. If need
    > be then we can implement any intermediate layer driver as well, if
    > that can achieve this objective
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards,
    > Ranjan




  4. Re: Dynamically changing MTU of an adapter

    I am confused in OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE and registry setting of
    mtu.
    It seems that windows stack uses registry mtu size.
    While writing the application, which value should I consider ?
    GetIfEntry returns OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE. Is there any api where
    can I get registry mtu size for adpater?

    What do you mean by MTU is statically defined when the
    OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE is queried?

    Please tell me answer.


    On Sep 11, 11:21*pm, "Peter" wrote:
    > No. In NDIS 5.x, the MTU is statically defined when the
    > OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE is queried on the miniport. For NDIS 6.x, the
    > miniport defines the MTU through its
    > NDIS_MINIPORT_ADAPTER_GENERAL_ATTRIBUTES data registered through
    > NdisMSetMiniportAttributes(). Once set, there is no way to dynamically
    > change it. Also, keep in mind that the set of the MTU occurs either shortly
    > after (NDIS 5.x) or during miniport initialization.
    >
    > You will have to rely on setting this in the registry and then restarting
    > (i.e., disable/enable) the miniport. An IM driver won't help here.
    >
    > "Rnjn" wrote in message
    >
    > news:b05629f7-0d11-4989-a7c3-d76e4f47934f@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
    >
    > > Hi,

    >
    > > Is there a way of dynamically changing MTU of an adapter on the fly?
    > > Any OID value that can be sent to NDIS(TDI/ anything else ) that can
    > > achieve this ?

    >
    > > I am developing an application where this feature is required and
    > > changing MTU through registry is well, not a valid solution. *If need
    > > be then we can implement any intermediate layer driver as well, if
    > > that can achieve this objective

    >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    >
    > > --
    > > Best Regards,
    > > Ranjan



  5. Re: Dynamically changing MTU of an adapter

    You said:

    "I am confused in OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE and registry setting of
    mtu.
    It seems that windows stack uses registry mtu size."

    The windows stack does not use the registry value. The point here is the
    miniport reads the registry value for MTU during its MiniportInitialize
    call, and then uses that when processing the query to
    OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE.


    You said:

    "While writing the application, which value should I consider ?
    GetIfEntry returns OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE. Is there any api where
    can I get registry mtu size for adpater?"

    Again, the registry setting is read by the miniport and returned in a query
    of OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE. You don't have to do anything else.

    Just so I understand, under what conditions do you want to "dynamically"
    change the MTU? Do you expect that there will be conditions where the MTU
    may shrink from 1500 or exceed 1500 (e.g., jumbo frames)?

    "Anand Choubey" wrote in message
    news:bb151854-8419-4869-bd6f-f1f87a53ea9b@a2g2000prm.googlegroups.com...
    I am confused in OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE and registry setting of
    mtu.
    It seems that windows stack uses registry mtu size.
    While writing the application, which value should I consider ?
    GetIfEntry returns OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE. Is there any api where
    can I get registry mtu size for adpater?

    What do you mean by MTU is statically defined when the
    OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE is queried?

    Please tell me answer.


    On Sep 11, 11:21 pm, "Peter" wrote:
    > No. In NDIS 5.x, the MTU is statically defined when the
    > OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE is queried on the miniport. For NDIS 6.x, the
    > miniport defines the MTU through its
    > NDIS_MINIPORT_ADAPTER_GENERAL_ATTRIBUTES data registered through
    > NdisMSetMiniportAttributes(). Once set, there is no way to dynamically
    > change it. Also, keep in mind that the set of the MTU occurs either
    > shortly
    > after (NDIS 5.x) or during miniport initialization.
    >
    > You will have to rely on setting this in the registry and then restarting
    > (i.e., disable/enable) the miniport. An IM driver won't help here.
    >
    > "Rnjn" wrote in message
    >
    > news:b05629f7-0d11-4989-a7c3-d76e4f47934f@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
    >
    > > Hi,

    >
    > > Is there a way of dynamically changing MTU of an adapter on the fly?
    > > Any OID value that can be sent to NDIS(TDI/ anything else ) that can
    > > achieve this ?

    >
    > > I am developing an application where this feature is required and
    > > changing MTU through registry is well, not a valid solution. If need
    > > be then we can implement any intermediate layer driver as well, if
    > > that can achieve this objective

    >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    >
    > > --
    > > Best Regards,
    > > Ranjan




+ Reply to Thread