How do we check the open/closed status of the UDP port status - Programmer

This is a discussion on How do we check the open/closed status of the UDP port status - Programmer ; I am writing a small application to check the status the given TCP and UDP ports in a machine. I have created a socket and connected to the machine using connect() while specifying SOCK_STREAM [for TCP] in socket() the connect() ...

  1. How do we check the open/closed status of the UDP port status

    I am writing a small application to check the status the given TCP and
    UDP ports in a machine.

    I have created a socket and connected to the machine using connect()
    while specifying SOCK_STREAM [for TCP] in socket() the connect()
    method fails as expected if the particular TCP port remain closed or
    not permitted from TCP/IP filtering in Windows 2000 Professional.

    But when SOCK_DGRAM [for UDP] in socket(), the connect() method
    doesnot fail as expected if the particular UDP port remain closed or
    not permitted from TCP/IP filtering in Windows 2000 Professional.

    How do I check whether the particular UDP port is closed/opened/
    restricted/permitted.

    Thanks
    Deenad

  2. Re: How do we check the open/closed status of the UDP port status

    "tsgd84" wrote in message
    >I am writing a small application to check the status the given TCP and
    > UDP ports in a machine.
    >
    > I have created a socket and connected to the machine using connect()
    > while specifying SOCK_STREAM [for TCP] in socket() the connect()
    > method fails as expected if the particular TCP port remain closed or
    > not permitted from TCP/IP filtering in Windows 2000 Professional.
    >
    > But when SOCK_DGRAM [for UDP] in socket(), the connect() method
    > doesnot fail as expected if the particular UDP port remain closed or
    > not permitted from TCP/IP filtering in Windows 2000 Professional.
    >
    > How do I check whether the particular UDP port is closed/opened/
    > restricted/permitted.

    Try sending it some character.. such as 13.

    -Sten

+ Reply to Thread