Terminal Services - Programmer

This is a discussion on Terminal Services - Programmer ; Hi, I am trying to come up with something similar to Microsoft's Terminal Services but am having unfortunately some starting difficulties. Mainly I am looking into how to log on additional users into a full desktop environment. I have found ...

  1. Terminal Services

    Hi,

    I am trying to come up with something similar to Microsoft's Terminal
    Services but am having unfortunately some starting difficulties. Mainly
    I am looking into how to log on additional users into a full desktop
    environment.

    I have found such a kind of feature in the SU implementation "SUperior
    SU" for Windows, where its FAQ -
    http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/supsu/faq...._what_is_the_d -
    states there are several differences between its own implementation and
    the Terminal Services/Fast User Switching.

    Would anyone have a hint about the right APIs respectively could point
    me into the right direction (I would assume LogonUser() and
    CreateDesktop() might be two key functions).

    Thanks very much.

  2. Re: Terminal Services

    Alex wrote:

    > Would anyone have a hint about the right APIs respectively could point
    > me into the right direction (I would assume LogonUser() and
    > CreateDesktop() might be two key functions).

    I don't understand what you want to do but TS apis are mainly WTS* apis :
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...64(VS.85).aspx

  3. Re: Terminal Services

    Sten Westerback (MVP SDK 2005-6 wrote:

    > The correct API to use is called Win32 API

    The Misc API might be interested too however (given you referred to the
    cross posting )

    > I would suggest you use http(s) from communication unless you want to make
    > life easier and use a named pipe with it's built-in authetication (asuming
    > you have a domain).

    Well, to be honest I am not having such a big experience with named
    pipes so I would likely go with IP (whether UDP or TCP and if TCP
    subsequently HTTP is yet to be decided), aside that I suppose it could
    be problematic via Internet connections.

    > A desktop is needed so the working thread(s) of processes started have
    > something to draw on (or at least a console if that's all you need).

    Sure, my initial concern was that the desktop/session isolation wouldnt
    really be given by using the "regular" calls, which doesnt seem to be
    the case with Terminal Services.

    This appears of having been confirmed by several responses to the same
    question in microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel.

    > If you choose to log on on the server side, make sure you know what you are
    > doing securitywise (don't send password to server side in cleartext).

    Of course.

    > To transfer screens you need either to hook everything and send the result
    > over or take snapshots of what you have from the desktop hwnd and send that
    > over (compressed).
    > Finally, most importantly, you need to convince someone that none of the
    > comercial products available, MS Terminal Services and Citrix ICA, are
    > suitable.

    I guess they are all suitable. Mine (if realised) would be just another
    option. Aside that there are still hundreds of other's (even if they
    usually do not provide individually sessions but only cover the logged
    on user).

    Also I havent yet decided whether I want to make it open source or a
    commercial product, although I tend to the latter at the moment.

    > FUS and TS are basically the same... FUS is just a bit more "open to home
    > users".

    My initial doubt was whether I could use the FUS/TS APIs to implement
    such a service or whether they only provide interaction with their
    service itself and I'd have to use the "regular" APIs, here the latter
    seems to be the case as well (as indicated by the responses to the
    microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel).

    > - Sten

    Thank you very much Sten!

+ Reply to Thread