Net Send SDK - Programmer

This is a discussion on Net Send SDK - Programmer ; Hi, I am developing LAN messengers. I have several application for communications over LAN, some of them are completely free for personal and business purpose. All applications use common well-tested secure network protocol. Here is example, Net Send GUI: http://www.fomine.com/net-send-gui.html ...

  1. Net Send SDK

    Hi,

    I am developing LAN messengers. I have several application for
    communications over LAN, some of them are completely free for personal
    and business purpose. All applications use common well-tested secure
    network protocol. Here is example, Net Send GUI:
    http://www.fomine.com/net-send-gui.html

    I just finished DLL interface, it exports four simple functions that
    provide instant messaging functionality to 3td party application. C++
    and C# examples are included.
    Here you can read a bit more about SDK:
    http://www.winpopup-lan-messenger.com/net-send-sdk.html

    I just would like to get some comment/feedback and suggestions,
    concerning this SDK.

    TIA,
    Vitali Fomine

  2. Re: Net Send SDK

    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am developing LAN messengers. I have several application for
    > communications over LAN, some of them are completely free for personal
    > and business purpose. All applications use common well-tested secure
    > network protocol. Here is example, Net Send GUI:
    > http://www.fomine.com/net-send-gui.html
    >
    > I just finished DLL interface, it exports four simple functions that
    > provide instant messaging functionality to 3td party application. C++
    > and C# examples are included.
    > Here you can read a bit more about SDK:
    > http://www.winpopup-lan-messenger.com/net-send-sdk.html
    >
    > I just would like to get some comment/feedback and suggestions,
    > concerning this SDK.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Vitali Fomine

    Hi Vitali,

    I had a look at your website.

    Firstly, I could not see any reference to the free applications, sure there
    are limited trials but that is not free is it. Perhaps your site is out of
    date ?

    Secondly, regarding the SDK itself, there are basically only four functions
    and they rely upon a third party Tool (eg Office Popup) being installed to
    actually perform the sending of the message. If I was to use somnething like
    this, I would want a DLL that did everything (send and receive) internally.
    I would want a rich interface that would allow me to utilise the DLL so that
    I could essentially build my own GUI interface, controlling all aspects, eg.
    A function to populate a list box with the contact list etc etc.

    At the end of the day, why provide an SDK to an "external" application when
    you could actually document and make available the core engine of the Office
    Popup which could be used directly by any application.

    My 2 cents
    Leslie.

  3. Re: Net Send SDK

    Leslie, thank you for your opinion.

    > Firstly, I could not see any reference to the free applications, sure there
    > are limited trials but that is not free is it. Perhaps your site is out of
    > date ?

    http://www.fomine.com/net-send-gui.html

    > Secondly, regarding the SDK itself, there are basically only four functions
    > and they rely upon a third party Tool (eg Office Popup) being installed to
    > actually perform the sending of the message. If I was to use somnething like
    > this, I would want a DLL that did everything (send and receive) internally.
    > I would want a rich interface that would allow me to utilise the DLL so that
    > I could essentially build my own GUI interface, controlling all aspects, eg.
    > A function to populate a list box with the contact list etc etc.

    I tried to find simplest way to send message from 3td party app via my
    IM solution. I have DLL that do everthing for internal purpose, but it
    has a many peculiarities. Do you want to investigate in ~30 functions?
    Maybe - Yes, if you want to create something like OfficePopup. But
    what if you need just send message/notification from your
    application?

    > At the end of the day, why provide an SDK to an "external" application when
    > you could actually document and make available the core engine of the Office
    > Popup which could be used directly by any application.

    External application has some pluses:
    1. It is ready to send message immediately. For example, I have net
    send command tool, how to send message in this case w/o external app?
    Login/logout every time when I need to send message. What about user
    state in this case?
    2. Simplicity, you do not think about network settings, accounts,
    passwords in your code. Just configure and test everything in external
    tool.

    Best regards,
    Vitali Fomine

  4. Re: Net Send SDK

    Hi Vitali,

    wrote in message

    > Leslie, thank you for your opinion.

    No problem, this is all very interesting.

    >> Firstly, I could not see any reference to the free applications, sure
    >> there
    >> are limited trials but that is not free is it. Perhaps your site is out
    >> of
    >> date ?

    > http://www.fomine.com/net-send-gui.html

    Thanks, I stand corrected and I have downloaded it to take a look :-)

    > I tried to find simplest way to send message from 3td party app via my
    > IM solution. I have DLL that do everthing for internal purpose, but it
    > has a many peculiarities. Do you want to investigate in ~30 functions?
    > Maybe - Yes, if you want to create something like OfficePopup. But
    > what if you need just send message/notification from your
    > application?

    From my perspective, as long as they are useful why not ? Or to put it
    another way, more functions would hopefully mean tighter control. Of course,
    I am talking about communication with the core engine. The SDK you have got
    looks to be fine for simple high level use but I would want more control.

    > External application has some pluses:
    > 1. It is ready to send message immediately. For example, I have net
    > send command tool, how to send message in this case w/o external app?
    > Login/logout every time when I need to send message. What about user
    > state in this case?
    > 2. Simplicity, you do not think about network settings, accounts,
    > passwords in your code. Just configure and test everything in external
    > tool.

    The core library (or the SDK) could do this. From a Transmit Message
    perspective all the GUI really needs to do is capture the text that needs to
    be transmitted and have a send button. Everything else is done in the core
    engine. I took the liberty of having a look inside imclient.dll and it
    appears to do almost exactly what I am talking about. If I am correct in my
    thinking then it is this that I would be interested in accessing via an SDK
    to give me the tightest control possible.

    All in all it is pretty impressive work !!
    Leslie.

  5. Re: Net Send SDK

    Leslie,

    On Jan 17, 3:09 pm, "Leslie Milburn" wrote:

    > engine. I took the liberty of having a look inside imclient.dll and it
    > appears to do almost exactly what I am talking about. If I am correct in my
    > thinking then it is this that I would be interested in accessing via an SDK
    > to give me the tightest control possible.

    Ok, thanks, I will think about low level SDK.

+ Reply to Thread