[Proftpd-user] load balancing - proftpd

This is a discussion on [Proftpd-user] load balancing - proftpd ; I'm curious about how people handle load balancing among authenticated users. We run proftp on Redhat with mysql to authenticate and it works great, but I really need to distribute the load among more than one server without changing the ...

  1. [Proftpd-user] load balancing

    I'm curious about how people handle load balancing among authenticated
    users. We run proftp on Redhat with mysql to authenticate and it works
    great, but I really need to distribute the load among more than one
    server without changing the external IP. Google results are discouraging
    .... Does anyone have experience with this? Is it possible? Any pointers
    would be appreciated, including "rtfm" if you can tell me which manual
    to read. Thanks.

  2. Re: [Proftpd-user] load balancing

    > I'm curious about how people handle load balancing among authenticated
    > users. We run proftp on Redhat with mysql to authenticate and it works
    > great, but I really need to distribute the load among more than one
    > server without changing the external IP. Google results are discouraging
    > ... Does anyone have experience with this? Is it possible? Any pointers
    > would be appreciated, including "rtfm" if you can tell me which manual
    > to read. Thanks.

    I haven't used this application myself, but "pen" looks like it might do
    what you need:

    http://siag.nu/pen/howto.shtml#ftp
    http://siag.nu/pen/

    Hope this helps,
    TJ

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring
    soul.

    -Kahlil Gibran

  3. Re: [Proftpd-user] load balancing

    On Oct 6, 2008, at 9:55 PM, Jeff wrote:

    > I'm curious about how people handle load balancing among authenticated
    > users. We run proftp on Redhat with mysql to authenticate and it works
    > great, but I really need to distribute the load among more than one
    > server without changing the external IP. Google results are
    > discouraging
    > ... Does anyone have experience with this? Is it possible? Any
    > pointers
    > would be appreciated, including "rtfm" if you can tell me which manual
    > to read. Thanks.

    We have multiple (in this case 4) FreeBSD boxes sitting behind a
    Hardware Load Balancer (IOS-SLB running on Cisco 6509s) all running
    Proftpd. They are using my mod_tds to authenticate out of a clustered
    set of M$ SQL databases. Each one is currently running 11 different
    virtual hosts (each on their own Load Balanced IP). Filesystems are
    all mounted on the boxes via NFS and are served by a pair of NetApp
    Filers.

    Not sure if that is the solution you are looking for as there is a non
    trivial about of $$ involved in the above, but would be happy to try
    and answer any questions you might have.

    -Patrick

    --
    Patrick Muldoon
    Network/Software Engineer

    "Wooh, All this computer hacking is making me thirsty, I think I'll
    order a Tab"
    --Homer Simpson

  4. Re: [Proftpd-user] load balancing

    Have you considered or tried Linux Virtual Server?
    http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

    -C

  5. Re: [Proftpd-user] load balancing

    > I'm curious about how people handle load balancing among authenticated
    > users. We run proftp on Redhat with mysql to authenticate and it works
    > great, but I really need to distribute the load among more than one
    > server without changing the external IP. Google results are discouraging
    > ... Does anyone have experience with this? Is it possible? Any pointers
    > would be appreciated, including "rtfm" if you can tell me which manual
    > to read. Thanks.

    how about pound?
    http://www.apsis.ch/pound/

    pound could listening on port 21 and forwards requests by conf-settings to
    servers in background..

    Andre