[Proftpd-user] Trouble with non-english characters - proftpd

This is a discussion on [Proftpd-user] Trouble with non-english characters - proftpd ; Hi, I've setup ProFTPD on Ubuntu Server 8.04. I have problems when users are naming folders with non-enlish characters like these swedish characters: едц If named with this characters, then it's not possible to download the folders. Any clues? Thanks ...

  1. [Proftpd-user] Trouble with non-english characters

    Hi,

    I've setup ProFTPD on Ubuntu Server 8.04. I have problems when users
    are naming folders with non-enlish characters like these swedish
    characters:

    едц

    If named with this characters, then it's not possible to download the folders.

    Any clues?

    Thanks in advance.

    / Martin

  2. Re: [Proftpd-user] Trouble with non-english characters

    > I've setup ProFTPD on Ubuntu Server 8.04. I have problems when users
    > are naming folders with non-enlish characters like these swedish
    > characters:
    >
    > едц
    >
    > If named with this characters, then it's not possible to download the folders.
    >
    > Any clues?

    Could you see if proftpd debug logging shows any issues when listing these
    directories?

    http://www.proftpd.org/docs/howto/Debugging.html

    Also, which version of proftpd are you using?

    Cheers,
    TJ

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time
    to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.

    -Oscar Wilde

  3. Re: [Proftpd-user] Trouble with non-english characters

    On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 19:39, TJ Saunders wrote:

    > Could you see if proftpd debug logging shows any issues when listing these
    > directories?
    >
    > http://www.proftpd.org/docs/howto/Debugging.html
    >
    > Also, which version of proftpd are you using?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > TJ

    Hi,

    I haven't debugged this yet, and i can't reproduce the error myself,
    but what i've noticed when this happen is that, when i login via ssh,
    i can see that the folder is named with a questionmark instead of the
    swedish character. Ie:

    Folder?ame

    If I create a new directory via ftp it does work, so it seems like
    it's happening when clients from outside are uploading folders with
    swedish characters. Not sure if this is the case everytime, or from
    the same client though.

    $ proftpd -vv
    - ProFTPD Version: 1.3.1 (stable)
    - Scoreboard Version: 01040002