[Proftpd-user] Proftpd 100% usage of CPU from a connection - proftpd

This is a discussion on [Proftpd-user] Proftpd 100% usage of CPU from a connection - proftpd ; Hi! We have a little problem with Proftpd... some machines have some customer connection proccesses using 100% of CPU usage (and not using proftpd SSL)... I have set RLimitCPU session 15 16 and this nicely kills those connections but it ...

  1. [Proftpd-user] Proftpd 100% usage of CPU from a connection

    Hi!

    We have a little problem with Proftpd... some machines have some
    customer connection proccesses using 100% of CPU usage (and not using
    proftpd SSL)... I have set RLimitCPU session 15 16 and this nicely kills
    those connections but it kills too other legitimate connections wich are
    eating 20 or 30% of cpu ugage (Although I don't understand it really,
    because a normal upload of a large file eating 20 % of CPU can be
    withouth being killed 2 minutes, shouldn't it be killed in 16 seconds
    too??)... I implemented RlimitCPU for killing clients eating 100% of
    CPU but I didn't want to kill clients eating 50 or 30 % of cpu usage...
    could be this achieved by RLimitCPU? Or should I do a bash script that
    does something like a kill -9 of a proccess using 100% of CPU more than
    X seconds? This is a problem for us because it increases the load
    average of machines considerabily... Any help please??

    Thanks a lot!
    Bye!!

  2. Re: [Proftpd-user] Proftpd 100% usage of CPU from a connection

    On 25.08.08 09:50, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea wrote:
    > We have a little problem with Proftpd... some machines have some
    > customer connection proccesses using 100% of CPU usage (and not using
    > proftpd SSL)... I have set RLimitCPU session 15 16 and this nicely kills
    > those connections but it kills too other legitimate connections wich are
    > eating 20 or 30% of cpu ugage (Although I don't understand it really,
    > because a normal upload of a large file eating 20 % of CPU can be
    > withouth being killed 2 minutes, shouldn't it be killed in 16 seconds
    > too??)... I implemented RlimitCPU for killing clients eating 100% of
    > CPU but I didn't want to kill clients eating 50 or 30 % of cpu usage...
    > could be this achieved by RLimitCPU? Or should I do a bash script that
    > does something like a kill -9 of a proccess using 100% of CPU more than
    > X seconds? This is a problem for us because it increases the load
    > average of machines considerabily... Any help please??

    I've had similar problem and solved it similar way. I found out that there's
    problem when customers were creating folder whose names contained high
    non-ascii characters and later trying to list contents of the folder.

    I haven't look at that more deeply but maybe this hint will help you a bit.

    I'm using mod_clamav and I've had similar problem when customers uploaded a
    file whils connection to clamd broke - there was some problem when proftpd
    tried scanning the file...