Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control - proftpd

This is a discussion on Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control - proftpd ; > and the server didn't seem to mind. Question: Is it safe to assume that > that directive effectively limits sessions to roughly 1.1 Mb/s and not > something like 1.1 Kbps? The docs aren't clear and the older directives ...

  1. Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control

    > and the server didn't seem to mind. Question: Is it safe to assume that
    > that directive effectively limits sessions to roughly 1.1 Mb/s and not
    > something like 1.1 Kbps? The docs aren't clear and the older directives
    > used bits per second, not mega or kilobites...

    TransferRate uses KB/s.

    TJ

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
    Old Times is still a-flying;
    And this same flower that smiles today,
    Tomorrow will be dying.

    -Robert Herrick

  2. Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control

    TJ Saunders escreveu:

    > TransferRate uses KB/s.

    TJ, just to make things clear ..... TransferRate uses KBytes and
    not Kbits .... so, if i wanna limit transfers in 1Mbit/s i would use
    128, ok ???

    1Mbit/s = 128Kbyte/s

    --

    Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
    Leonardo Rodrigues

    gertrudes@solutti.com.br
    My SPAMTRAP, do not email it

  3. Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, TJ Saunders wrote:

    >> and the server didn't seem to mind. Question: Is it safe to assume that
    >> that directive effectively limits sessions to roughly 1.1 Mb/s and not
    >> something like 1.1 Kbps? The docs aren't clear and the older directives
    >> used bits per second, not mega or kilobites...

    > TransferRate uses KB/s.

    Thank you, TJ...I actually did figure that out after I sent this by using
    trial and error. 1.1 actually stalled, and 11000000 let it go too fast.
    1100 is what I want and it appears to work just great!

    James Smallacombe PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
    up@3.am http://3.am

  4. Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control

    Jorge Bastos escreveu:
    > I believe it's Kbytes, so if you want to limit to use 1Mbit/s it would be:
    >
    > TransferRate RETR 1024
    >
    > Wich'll give you the 1Mbit per second

    1024 Kbyte/s = 8192kbit/s = 8Mbit/s .....

    i think limiting in 1Mbit/s would be RETR 128, if that's Kbyte/s ......

    128Kbyte/s = 1024Kbit/s = 1 Mbit/s

    --

    Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
    Leonardo Rodrigues

    gertrudes@solutti.com.br
    My SPAMTRAP, do not email it

  5. Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control

    > Objet*: Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control
    >

    > > 1024 Kbyte/s = 8192kbit/s = 8Mbit/s .....

    > This is completly wrong:
    >
    > 1024 Kbyte = 1Mbit
    >
    > That's the conversion.
    > 8192Kbit is 8Mbit, but 1024Kbyte isn't 8128Kbit

    > challenge
    > prizes
    > world
    > http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.p...r_id=100&url=/

    No, depending the context :
    This is/seems right :

    1000000 bytes = 1000 Kbytes = 1 Mbyte
    1000000 bits = 1000 Kbits = 1 Mbit
    8 bits = 1 byte

  6. Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control

    Well, there are 8 bits in a byte, so in synchronous transfers, you need to
    divide by 8 if it's bytes instead of bits (asynch would be 10 to 1 because
    of start and stop bits).

    I just changed the directive from:

    TransferRate RETR,STOR,APPE,STOU 1100

    to:

    TransferRate RETR,STOR,APPE,STOU 110

    and now my transfer rate is:

    7310926 bytes received in 01:04 (109.98 KB/s)

    Which is more what I need, since I'm trying to make sure that one session
    won't choke a 6Mbit/sec dedicated connection.

    Thanks again everybody!

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Jorge Bastos wrote:

    > I believe you're wrong
    >
    >> From manual:

    > ---
    > Synopsis
    >
    > TransferRate [ cmds] [ kilobytes-per-sec[:free-bytes]] [
    > ["user"|"group"|"class" expression]]
    > ---
    >
    > TransferRate RETR 128
    >
    > Will give you exactly 128Kbyte/Sec
    >
    > So if you want to have 1Mbit of speed, it'll be:
    >
    > TransferRate RETR 1024
    >
    > 1024Kbyte/1024 = 1Mbit

  7. Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Jorge Bastos wrote:

    >> 1024 Kbyte/s = 8192kbit/s = 8Mbit/s .....

    > This is completly wrong:
    >
    > 1024 Kbyte = 1Mbit

    Actually, 1024 Kbyte = 1MByte, not 1Mbit.

    > That's the conversion.
    > 8192Kbit is 8Mbit, but 1024Kbyte isn't 8128Kbit

    Correct...maybe you made a typo in your first example...