[Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control - proftpd

This is a discussion on [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control - proftpd ; Hi I'm running proftpd 1.3.0 in a very basic config. No anonymous or virtual hosts. I'm running into issues with users that have pipes as big or even bigger than the server's causing congestion. I checked the docs on bandwidth ...

  1. [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control

    Hi I'm running proftpd 1.3.0 in a very basic config. No anonymous or
    virtual hosts.

    I'm running into issues with users that have pipes as big or even bigger
    than the server's causing congestion.

    I checked the docs on bandwidth control here:

    http://www.proftpd.org/localsite/Use...nked/x950.html

    But RateReadBPS, RateWriteBPS and even the discontinued Bandwidth
    directives are not recognized by the server, meaning they cause a fatal
    error.

    The docs at the "userguide" above seem a bit unclear to me...can somebody
    clue me in as to what I need to do?

    Thanks in advance!

    James Smallacombe PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
    up@3.am http://3.am

  2. Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control

    > The docs at the "userguide" above seem a bit unclear to me...can somebody
    > clue me in as to what I need to do?

    The userguide is a bit out of date at this point (any volunteers to help
    work on it?), but I think this is what you might be looking for:

    http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directiv...nsferRate.html

    The TransferRate directive replaced the previous Rate* configuration
    directives.

    Hope this helps,
    TJ

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Axioms in philosophy are not axioms until they are proved upon our pulses:
    we read fine things but never feel them to the full until we have gone
    the same steps as the author.

    John Keats

  3. Re: [Proftpd-user] ProFTPd Rate limiting / Bandwidth control

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, TJ Saunders wrote:

    >> The docs at the "userguide" above seem a bit unclear to me...can somebody
    >> clue me in as to what I need to do?

    > The userguide is a bit out of date at this point (any volunteers to help
    > work on it?), but I think this is what you might be looking for:
    >
    > http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directiv...nsferRate.html
    >
    > The TransferRate directive replaced the previous Rate* configuration
    > directives.
    >
    > Hope this helps,

    It did help, thanks! I put:

    TransferRate RETR,STOR,APPE,STOU 1.1

    and the server didn't seem to mind. Question: Is it safe to assume that
    that directive effectively limits sessions to roughly 1.1 Mb/s and not
    something like 1.1 Kbps? The docs aren't clear and the older directives
    used bits per second, not mega or kilobites...