Re: [Proftpd-user] Feature? - proftpd

This is a discussion on Re: [Proftpd-user] Feature? - proftpd ; On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:31:09PM +0100, Jorge Bastos wrote: > Hi, > > TJ, did you ever thinked about storing files directly in a DataBase, MySQL > for example? > > All the structure will remain, but no ...

  1. Re: [Proftpd-user] Feature?

    On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:31:09PM +0100, Jorge Bastos wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > TJ, did you ever thinked about storing files directly in a DataBase, MySQL
    > for example?
    >
    > All the structure will remain, but no files in FileSystem.

    That would provide what kind of advantage?

    I might be wrong but IIRC at least older versions of mysql had some limitations
    on the size of a bloob in the DB.

    Sven
    --
    If God passed a mic to me to speak
    I'd say stay in bed, world

  2. Re: [Proftpd-user] Feature?

    On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 09:28:26AM +0100, Jorge Bastos wrote:

    Hi,

    > Having everything "organized"
    >
    > Well, 4GB it's enought i think, for most cases.

    A DVD image is bigger. And that only counts for the 5.x versions doesn't it?

    > But hey, it's a nice feature, with this there's only missing support in
    > apache to read files from database instead of filesystem.

    But for what is it usefull? It's slow like hell, hard to backup, hard to
    recover in case of a crash, wastes more resources. I don't see any benefit.
    It's similar braindead in my eyes like all those people begging to move
    a complete mailserver datastore into a databse. Look Lotus is doing it and
    it's always fun to see the reaction when you pull the network plug for a
    minute. Plus I know people working with a several gig imap directory and
    I know people with a few hundred megs in a Notes mailbox. Guess who's working
    and who's waiting for data.

    I don't want to know what it feels like with tranfering files with the _file_
    transfer protocol where the files come straight out of a database hell.

    Beside the 'hey it would be fun to try it out' argument I'd like to hear
    about some usecase for it where it has an advantage.

    Cheers,
    Sven
    --
    If God passed a mic to me to speak
    I'd say stay in bed, world
    Sleep in peace
    [The Cardigans - 03:45: No sleep]

  3. Re: [Proftpd-user] Feature?

    On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:53:05AM +0100, Jorge Bastos wrote:

    Hi,

    > But hey, in the FTP scenario it's more complicated I know, but it has
    > advantages with some disadvantages also.

    What are these advantages? Would be nice if you could share your knowdlege
    on the topic with the mere mortals.

    Oh and full quoting with top posting sucks.

    Sven
    --
    If God passed a mic to me to speak
    I'd say stay in bed, world
    Sleep in peace
    [The Cardigans - 03:45: No sleep]

  4. Re: [Proftpd-user] Feature?

    Sven Hoexter escreveu:

    > But for what is it usefull? It's slow like hell, hard to backup, hard to
    > recover in case of a crash, wastes more resources. I don't see any benefit.
    > It's similar braindead in my eyes like all those people begging to move
    > a complete mailserver datastore into a databse. Look Lotus is doing it and
    > it's always fun to see the reaction when you pull the network plug for a
    > minute. Plus I know people working with a several gig imap directory and
    > I know people with a few hundred megs in a Notes mailbox. Guess who's working
    > and who's waiting for data.

    Agreed completly. I completly fail to see benefits on that .... it
    would be interesting to see this working, but i cant see real benefits
    of changing some absolutely good filesystem codes being replaced by SQL
    storage ... indeed because SQL storage would rely on that same
    filesystem to store things !

    --

    Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
    Leonardo Rodrigues