I have just built/installed ProFTPD 1.3.1 on Mac OSX Server
10.5.2 and am having difficulty getting it to use the using home
directory specified in the SQL user table. Looking through the
debug log, the SQL authentication appears to be working fine
(returns "Login successful") and it even seems to be correctly
retrieving the homedir value from the usertable row (it resolves
correctly), but the connection always fails with "No such file
or directory" even though what is displayed does exist and has
the correct permissions:

>May 09 20:23:40 : ProFTPD 1.3.1 (stable) (built Fri May 9 18:41:16 EDT 2008) standalone mode STARTUP
>May 09 20:41:42 : FTP session opened.
>May 09 20:41:42 : USER testuser: Login successful.
>May 09 20:41:42 : notice: unable to use '~/' [resolved to '/Library/WebServer/testuser.home/']: No such file or directory
>May 09 20:41:42 : Preparing to chroot to directory '~/'
>May 09 20:41:42 : testuser chroot("~/"): No such file or directory
>May 09 20:41:42 : error: unable to set default root directory
>May 09 20:41:42 : FTP session closed.

I have confirmed the home directory does exist and the
file-system permissions (uid and gid) for this directory match
what is stored in the usertable row:

>bash-3.2# ls -al /Library/WebServer/
>total 16
>drwxr-xr-x 11 64010 65005 374 Apr 24 02:41 testuser.home

and am actually using the same file system/permissions, MySQL
ProFTPD database, and proftpd.conf file that was working fine
(with ProFTPD 1.3.0 and OSXS 10.4.11) prior to the recent
upgrade. I dont think the SQL options in proftpd.conf is the
problem (because the log file appears to indicate that is
working fine), but here are the options I am using:

>SQLUserInfo usertable username passwd uid gid homedir shell
>#SQLDefaultHomedir "/tmp"
>RequireValidShell off
>SQLGroupInfo grouptable groupname gid members
>SQLAuthenticate users groups usersetfast groupsetfast
>DefaultRoot ~

Is there a debug level with greater detail than 'debug' that
might help figure out why it cant seem to find the files that do
exist or something else I might be missing in the config?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions on where to look next.

--
-- Michael Dunston
-- Music and Technology