we encountered a problem where users created file that contained "invalid"
(not ascii) character in its name which cuased proftpd hand and eat 100% of
CPU when trying to list the contents of a directory.

I moved the file to directory and ensured it hangs. /bin/ls | od -c says

0000000 _ o b j e d n a v k a _ i n t e
0000020 r _ x m l s e n d . b a k 362 a \n

the "362" is octal number of the character which apparently causes the

Is this known problem, can we avoid this somehow?

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Use priority code J8TL2D2.
ProFTPD Users List
Unsubscribe problems?