Hello,

we encountered a problem where users created file that contained "invalid"
(not ascii) character in its name which cuased proftpd hand and eat 100% of
CPU when trying to list the contents of a directory.

I moved the file to directory and ensured it hangs. /bin/ls | od -c says
this:

0000000 _ o b j e d n a v k a _ i n t e
0000020 r _ x m l s e n d . b a k 362 a \n
0000040

the "362" is octal number of the character which apparently causes the
problem.

Is this known problem, can we avoid this somehow?

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.