--===============2022395915==

--=====================_1113659062==.ALT

At 12:10 PM 5/1/2008, Michael Russell wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Here's a perhaps unusual request, either for information or an enhancement:
>
>We have a low-grade network at our office, where we conduct support
>activities for many Unix systems.
>We occasionally have to ftp large files to/from here.
>Standard (SCO unix) ftp client slaughters the network's performance.
>
>Is there a way to have ftp behave 'nicely'?
>On these occasions, a 40Mbyte file would take 20 minutes to transfer
>& reduce us to watching for successful keystrokes on our PCs, where
>we use Citrix to log in to a major client.
>
>As the file could well be required 'some time today', it would be
>useful to be able to throttle back the network usage.
>
>Can this presently be accomplished, or would it require a code change?

I've not used either of these two ideas, but until wiser heads opine....

Have you experimented with the standard configuration directive?
TransferRate [ cmds] [ kilobytes-per-sec[:free-bytes]] [
["user"|"group"|"class" expression]]
See the configuration directives documentation for discussion.

And there's a contributed module, found from the "Contrib module
news" link http://www.proftpd.org/module_news.html on the home page,
to "FTP traffic shaping"
http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/mod...od_shaper.html, which looks
quite interesting, for instance the added directive:
# Change the overall daemon rate to 100 KB/s
ShaperAll rate 100

Some things to play with... :-)

http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/modules/mod_shaper.html
, which looks
quite interesting, for instance the added directive:

    # Change the overall daemon rate to 100 KB/s

    ShaperAll rate 100

Some things to play with... :-)

Thanks in
advance,