On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, TJ Saunders wrote:

-> > modules/mod_dso.o: In function `dso_init':
-> > mod_dso.c.text+0x19b9): undefined reference to `lt_preloaded_symbols'
-> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
-> > libtool: link: rm -f ".libs/proftpdS.o"
-> > make: *** [proftpd] Error 1
->
-> Also, what version of libtool/libltdl is installed on your system?

libtool-2.2.2
gcc-4.2.3 (waiting on gcc-4.3.0 over the cld issue:
http://lwn.net/Articles/272048/ )
linux-2.6.24.4 on x86 (no distro.)

I got around this later on, but didn't see any new proftpd-user mail list, so
I didn't get to respond to it until now. Looks like it had something to do
with add-on modules because it didn't happen with a vanilla configure
--prefix=/usr type build. I left off the 5-7 modules that were giving trouble
and it seemed to disappear.

I'll write it off as a non-reproducable local issue; thank you for following
up.