--===============0964674594==

--=====================_314066343==.ALT

At 01:08 PM 2/20/2008, Ken Johanson wrote:
>What is generally considered the best way (or ways) to get proftpd to
>output FTP command events so that other apps can receive them? I'm
>looking for a high-level solution, something that would synchronously or
>asynchronously (preferred) invoke a http URL (GET or POST) so that an
>application server can receive the event.

At what level of detail do you need 'events'? The key question would
seem to be, is there anything you need to know that is _not_
presented in the logs?

>What I've seen so far seems only to be the 'mod_exec' module, though I'd
>prefer something more secure and possibly built-in. My best idea so far
>is to use mod_exec's ExecOnCommand directive and register to receive all
>events, then pass those as args to wget.
>
>ExecOnCommand READ,WRITE wget http://appserver/cgi?user=%u&file=%f

I've not used the mod_exec feature, so I am unsure about one rather
important point: does an external execution via mod_exec cause _any_
part of ProFTPD sessions to pause, waiting until the external program
is finished? If so, you probably don't want to hook the vagaries of
network/server connections into your session processing. Direct
execution of wget could allow hiccups elsewhere to become roadblocks for you.

Hmm, looking TJ Saunders' source, it seems to fork and exec, which
should be okay... ooo, waitpid()? Is that controlled by
ExecOptions? Makes me nervous... TJ?

>All the log modules I've come across only seem to support syslog or
>regular text file logging...

Again, it is possible you need to know things that are only revealed
via mod_exec hooks. But if your needs are such that passive
monitoring of logs will work for you, I'd think that vastly preferable.

And the FIFO-logging linked to from the bottom of the mod_exec doc
does give you a more dynamic 'live' view of the text logging. I can
get by just monitoring text logs using 'tail' and the like. But if
you want to execute programs given certain conditions the FIFO
processing might be more 'immediate' (and controllable without
impacting FTP sessions?).

Consider this a vote for the least intrusive monitoring possible -
log tailing or FIFO monitoring.