Using kubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) 32-bit.
When I attempt to open an ftp connection:
Screen dump below:
tim@lucy:~$ ftp
ftp> open 127.0.0.1
ftp: connect: Connection refused

similarly, connection is refused from other machines.
However, this machine can be pinged from other machines
and has ftp access to my other machines running proftpd.

If I attempt to invoke proftpd directly - screen dump below:
sudo proftpd
[sudo] password for tim:
- IPv6 getaddrinfo 'lucy.johnson.com' error: No address associated with
hostname
lucy.johnson.com - fatal: Socket operation on non-socket

Any advice at all would be welcome. Below are copies of
hosts, inetd.conf and proftpd.conf. proftpd.conf has not been edited,
but I haven't had to do so on my other machine.....

## hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.johnson.com localhost
192.168.1.4 lucy.johnson.com lucy
192.168.1.3 bart.johnson.com bart
192.168.1.6 linus.johnson.com linus
192.168.1.1 router.johnson.com router
192.168.1.5 barbara.johnson.com barbara
192.168.1.10 richard.johnson.com richard
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
## inetd.conf
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/proftpd
## above is TAB delimited
## proftpd,conf
#
# /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf -- This is a basic ProFTPD configuration file.
# To really apply changes reload proftpd after modifications.
#

# Includes DSO modules
Include /etc/proftpd/modules.conf

# Set off to disable IPv6 support which is annoying on IPv4 only boxes.
UseIPv6 on

ServerName "Debian"
ServerType inetd
DeferWelcome off

MultilineRFC2228 on
DefaultServer on
ShowSymlinks on

TimeoutNoTransfer 600
TimeoutStalled 600
TimeoutIdle 1200

DisplayLogin welcome.msg
DisplayFirstChdir .message
ListOptions "-l"

DenyFilter \*.*/

# Use this to jail all users in their homes
# DefaultRoot ~

# Users require a valid shell listed in /etc/shells to login.
# Use this directive to release that constrain.
# RequireValidShell off

# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
Port 21

# In some cases you have to specify passive ports range to by-pass
# firewall limitations. Ephemeral ports can be used for that, but
# feel free to use a more narrow range.
# PassivePorts 49152 65534

# If your host was NATted, this option is useful in order to
# allow passive tranfers to work. You have to use your public
# address and opening the passive ports used on your firewall as well.
# MasqueradeAddress 1.2.3.4

# To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
# to 30. If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
# at once, simply increase this value. Note that this ONLY works
# in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
# that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
# (such as xinetd)
MaxInstances 30

# Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
User proftpd
Group nogroup

# Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new files and dirs
# (second parm) from being group and world writable.
Umask 022 022
# Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.
AllowOverwrite on

# Uncomment this if you are using NIS or LDAP to retrieve passwords:
# PersistentPasswd off

# Be warned: use of this directive impacts CPU average load!
# Uncomment this if you like to see progress and transfer rate with ftpwho
# in downloads. That is not needed for uploads rates.
#
# UseSendFile off

# Choose a SQL backend among MySQL or PostgreSQL.
# Both modules are loaded in default configuration, so you have to specify the
backend
# or comment out the unused module in /etc/proftpd/modules.conf.
# Use 'mysql' or 'postgres' as possible values.
#
#
# SQLBackend mysql
#

TransferLog /var/log/proftpd/xferlog
SystemLog /var/log/proftpd/proftpd.log

TLSEngine off

QuotaEngine on

Ratios on

# Delay engine reduces impact of the so-called Timing Attack described in
# http://security.lss.hr/index.php?pag...LSS-2004-10-02
# It is on by default.

DelayEngine on

ControlsEngine on
ControlsMaxClients 2
ControlsLog /var/log/proftpd/controls.log
ControlsInterval 5
ControlsSocket /var/run/proftpd/proftpd.sock

AdminControlsEngine on

# A basic anonymous configuration, no upload directories.

#
# User ftp
# Group nogroup
# # We want clients to be able to login with "anonymous" as well as "ftp"
# UserAlias anonymous ftp
# # Cosmetic changes, all files belongs to ftp user
# DirFakeUser on ftp
# DirFakeGroup on ftp
#
# RequireValidShell off
#
# # Limit the maximum number of anonymous logins
# MaxClients 10
#
# # We want 'welcome.msg' displayed at login, and '.message' displayed
# # in each newly chdired directory.
# DisplayLogin welcome.msg
# DisplayFirstChdir .message
#
# # Limit WRITE everywhere in the anonymous chroot
#
#
# DenyAll
#

#

#
# # Uncomment this if you're brave.
# #
# # # Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new files and dirs
# # # (second parm) from being group and world writable.
# # Umask 022 022
# #
# # DenyAll
# #