--===============1167460719==

--=====================_241880843==.ALT

At 01:44 AM 12/22/2007, chris barry wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>First post to this list. I have ver 1.3.1 up and running great, but when
>I connect via a browser, the Display* messages do not get displayed.
>
>Is that normal? Is there a way to make it display them?

'browser' 'normal' - using those two words together gave me my first
chuckle for today!

IE7 - now that Microsoft brokewithdrew 'real' FTP support in their
latest release (having quietly given up on making FTP URL usage
'secure') I find that I do see the hello message (DisplayLogin) on
connecting to the FTP site with IE7.

Unfortunately they continue to display that same 'hello' message on
_every_ screen, even when more recent messages (DisplayChdir) should
appear. Oh, wait, try refreshing the page (ctrl-R or F5). The
'hello' message goes away. Refreshing on subdirectories doesn't get
you the newer DisplayChdir message though...

IE6 - when the "folder view" option isn't enabled it worked much like
IE7 does now. When the "folder view" option is enabled you don't see
the 'hello' message. But you can _ask_ for it, by using the menu
options "Help / FTP Server Welcome Message ...". Of course there's
no way to get any newer messages - it is always the DisplayLogin message.

Windows Explorer - post-IE7 this is the only way to get "folder view"
under XP. And it uses the same mechanism of menu options to show the
'hello' message as IE6 did. When you turn off "folder view" in
Explorer (using *IE*'s menu options "Tools / Advanced / Enable FTP
folder view (outside of Internet Explorer)") it will act like IE6/7 does.

FireFox 2.0 - no way to see the display messages that I can find in
menus or popups. There is an add-on called FireFTP which displays a
page much like WS-FTP that including a log pane that has the display messages.

Opera 9.24 - no way to see display messages that I can find in menus
or popups.

So I guess you had the answer all along, in the word 'normal' -
'no'. This is most frustrating to me, as it is the newbies that are
most likely to use a web browser with an FTP site, and *need* the
email address and cell phone number I include in the
connect/welcome/quit messages. (sigh)

--
I'm a pessimist about probabilities; I'm an optimist about possibilities.
Lewis Mumford (1895-1990)