--===============2111787056==

--=====================_343477703==.ALT

At 10:45 AM 12/11/2007, Leutnant Steiner wrote:
>hi !
>
>with ServerIdent off , version number could be suppressed.
>
>:
>http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directiv...rverIdent.html
>

>cu

You can play with both ServerIdent as noted and also
with ServerName . I have these comments in my config:
# This is the FTP server's name. Default would be 'ProFTPD' seen
# in %V and possibly in defaulted ServerIdent string
# We specify this to obscure the FTP server software product and version.
# (yes, of dubious utility but commonly done and requested by security)

ServerName "Budgie FTP server"

# This is the message displayed when a new connection begins.
# When not used the default is something like:
# 220 ProFTPD 1.3.0 Server (Budgie FTP server) [192.168.233.25]
# and when present but 'off' then "myhost.localdomain FTP server ready"
# We specify this so that even the host name won't be displayed by us.
# (even more dubious but also requested by security)

ServerIdent on "Budgie FTP server ready."
This gets me
220 Budgie FTP server ready.

As for figuring out _which_ file is the default configuration looked
at by ProFTPD, you might be able to ask ProFTPD:
/usr/sbin/proftpd -V
If that option isn't supported in your release, you could always
'cheat' and peek into the executable:
strings -n 5 /usr/sbin/proftpd | grep -i conf

just about anything Open Source.