> I had tried using the spec file from the proftpd tarball to rebuild.
> Encountered an error:-
>
> configure: error: source file './modules/d_auth_pam.c' cannot be found --
> aborting
> I am on CentOS 5, i386. What am i missing here?

I have the same issue. Please read:

The short answer is that if you want the rpm to compile you have to
enable everything which you can accomplish with:

rpmbuild -ba --with ctrls --with mod_facl --with mod_tls --with nls --with ipv6 --with dso proftpd.spec

(if the above line wraps, it should be entered on a single command line)

Barry