From: Frank Laczko Jr.=20
To: proftp-user@lists.sourceforge.net=20
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:19 PM
Subject: [Proftpd-user] timeout problem on large transfers

Hi All=20

I am having an odd problem with ProFTPd on Redhat Enterprise Linux 5.

ProFTPd is running in standalone mode, with passive ports specified =
between 30000 and 35000. Other than setting the passive ports, the =
server name, disabling anonymous ftp and setting up a transfer log, the =
proftpd.conf file is all defaults. We have also tried it without setting =
the passive ports.

Basically all is fine until we try to upload large files. When we do, =
the client gets a timeout saying the server forcibly closed the =
connection. The machine does have a firewall on it (iptables) but for =
testing purposes it has been disabled with no change to the problem.

One odd thing is that when the transfer aborts, a ps -ax on the server =
shows the Proftpd SS daemon AND the client connection in STOR mode, even =
though the connection has been aborted. This would lead me to think that =
the firewall cut off the connection, but the firewall is disabled.

I have tried setting the timeouts in proftpd high, as high as 30000 =
seconds with no effect. Also the logs are not showing any errors, either =
in syslog or the connection logging we have setup.

Since the proftpd server still shows the client connection after it =
has aborted (closed forcibly according to the client) I am more than a =
little stumped.

Any ideas anyone?=20

Thanks

Frank Laczko Jr.

Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a =
browser.

charset=3Diso-8859-1">

btw - forgot to add that the timeout is =
specific -=20
5 minutes and that this is proftpd 1.30