--===============0592052683==

--=====================_127418609==.ALT

Feeling really dumb here, and I have an answer, but an explanation or
just a 'yep' would help.

At times when I've tried to solve a (suddenly announced) problem I've
tried using the .ftpaccess facility. And while it has often helped
me greatly, there was something naggingly wrong 'sometimes' when I'd
try to use it. Sometimes it would work for me, and sometimes
not. I'd been thinking 'bug' of course.

Finally while shakedown testing 1.3.1rc3 I found *my* mistake.

In prior days I've hidden the message files, such as DisplayLogin and
DisplayChdir, by setting the group to 'root' and including
"HideGroup root". And so when I was using .ftpaccess files and I
wanted to hide them also I would set the group ownership to root.

Only sometimes I would also set the user to root. And sometimes I'd
have the permissions as "-r--r--r--" and sometimes "-r--r-----". And
sometimes .ftpaccess wouldn't work and I'd find another way...

The simple answer that probably is apparent to everyone else is that
..ftpaccess must be readable by the user/group that the server is
running as. If I have
User zowie
Group zowie
and .ftpaccess is
-r--r----- 1 root root 36 2007-09-21 20:15 .ftpaccess
the server *can't* read the file to implement my instructions. If I
change it to
-r-------- 1 zowie root 36 2007-09-21 20:15 .ftpaccess
then everything works just fine and the file is still hidden.

So, is the simple rule that these files, such as for DisplayQuit and
..ftpaccess, must be readable by the user/group of the running server?

BTW: I've been wanting to ask: is there any good description of
..ftpaccess usage and gotchas? Differences from
capabilities? What is possible and not possible?

[...]

..ftpaccess usage and gotchas?  Differences from <Directory>