Well, that was easier than I expected. I just added to /etc/proftpd.conf:

AuthOrder mod_auth_file.c
AuthUserFile /etc/ftpd.passwd
AuthGroupFile /etc/ftpd.group

I created a virtual user called virtftp:

groupadd -g 1000 virtftp
useradd -d /home/ftproot -g virtftp -m -u 1000 virtftp

Created a root folder:

mkdir /home/ftproot; chown virtftp. /home/ftproot

Added my admin account with ftproot as the home:

ftpasswd --passwd --file /etc/ftpd.passwd --name adminguy \
--home /home/ftproot --shell /bin/false --uid 1000

Added some users:

ftpasswd --passwd --file /etc/ftpd.passwd --name user1 \
--home /home/ftproot/user1 --shell /bin/false --uid 1000

The outcome is that adminguy can put/get files for user1, but user1 can
only put/get from their own home folder. Troubleshooting with the
command 'proftpd -n -d 5' was extremely helpful. Please let me know if
there are any glaring problems with my setup. TIA.

-Scott