--===============1327901311==

------=_Part_28472_22417973.1190210138512

Hi all, please allow a second question - this time on user/group rights.

I completely do not understand the relation between:
- unix user/group defined /etc/passwd and related files
- proftpd virtual user/group defined using mod_auth_file.c
- other users and groups defined in proftpd.conf

In my case:
- I have several web directories owned by user apache:apache(because my
httpd runs as apache:apache)
- I want to create several virtual ftp users with read/write access to these
various directories

My question:
- Which groups should the virtual ftp users belong to, in order to be able
to read/write in the dirs owned by apache?
- What do the group id's (numbers) mean, i.e. are they somehow related with
the unix group numbers?
- Or, whould you recommend any other approach rather that owning the files
by apache?

Hope I have asked the correct questions whose answers will help me solve my
case

Thanks and cheers,
Martin