I've been trying to get proftpd to authenticate users via PAM. I'm
running Solaris 10, and everything seems to be compiling fine. The PAM
module definitely seems to be included in compilation, as it's in the
list of static modules in module_glue.c. However, I've verified using
dtrace and debugging tools that pam_authenticate is never being called.
In fact, pam_start is never being called.

I'm using the PFTEST.conf file as a configuration file. I've tried many
different variants of it as well, but nothing worked. In case you're not
familiar with it, I'll post it at the end of the message. Thanks for any
help you can give!

--Joel

#
# This ProFTPD configuration is intended for unprivileged TESTING ONLY.
# See Step 4 in INSTALL.
#

ServerName "ProFTPD TEST Installation"
ServerType standalone
DefaultServer on

# Use a non-privileged port, rather than the standard ftp port (21).
# The ftpd-data port will be one less.
Port 2021

User root
Group staff

AuthOrder mod_auth_pam.c* mod_auth_unix.c

# These must be absolute paths.
AuthUserFile /tmp/PFTEST/PFTEST.passwd
AuthGroupFile /tmp/PFTEST/PFTEST.group

PidFile /tmp/PFTEST/PFTEST.pid
ScoreboardFile /tmp/PFTEST/PFTEST.score
SystemLog /tmp/PFTEST/PFTEST.syslog
TransferLog /tmp/PFTEST/PFTEST.xferlog

# Disable some checks.
IdentLookups off
RequireValidShell off
UseFtpUsers off
UseReverseDNS off
WtmpLog off

# Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
# from being group and world writable.
Umask 022

# To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes to 5.
MaxInstances 5

# Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.

AllowOverwrite on