I'm building a new fedora core 6 proftpd server to replace my older fedora core 3
server. This time, I'm using mod_sql with mysql as the database. I've installed
everything from the fedora rpms and it works just fine in my testing but I have not
put it in production yet.

Sometimes I find the daemon isn't running anymore:

[root@pilsner ~]# service proftpd status
proftpd is dead but pid file exists

I thought at first the weekly logrotate was killing it but if I manually run the line

test -f /var/lock/subsys/proftpd && /usr/bin/killall -HUP proftpd

it does not die.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Thanks,

Mark